jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Revenue from ads on poem hubs

1. adevwriting profile image79
    adevwritingposted 15 months ago

I wanted to know whether poems could have any of the affiliate ads such as those of Amazon or Google AdSense ads and whether there is revenue from these ads.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Of course they can, however poetry gets very little traffic on the internet, generally.  Therefore you will get few readers and therefore you will not get many clicks.

1. adevwriting profile image79
        adevwritingposted 14 months ago in reply to this

What if the poem is keyword optimized?

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 14 months ago in reply to this

How many people search for a poem on "X"?  There's the problem - not that the work is not optimized.  That no one searches for it.

I'll also ad to Marisa's comment that the sales ad must be pertinent to the subject of the poem, and that not many poems are written about how good a consumer product is.

2. lisavanvorst profile image80
        lisavanvorstposted 14 months ago in reply to this

I love to write poetry, however as another hubber answered the traffic is not as high as say articles. I write for the passion of writing and honestly I have not made a dime on this site. But if you love to write than do it for that, not the money.

2. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 14 months ago

I don't know if HubPages would or would not allow affiliate ads on poems. They're big on ads being relevant these days, but the big question is, how do they define relevance?

For example, say your poem is about the loss of a friend, and your ad is for something to help you with personal grief. That might not necessarily be relevant for your reader.

Think about your reader. Why is he reading the poem in the first place? Google doesn't rank poems about grief high in the search results, so if he searched for "dealing with loss of friend" he's not finding your poem, he's finding resources, maybe discussions. Who IS finding your poem? Someone interested in poetry, perhaps. Someone whose friend shared your poem because SHE found it meaningful. Some of the people who click on her link will have experienced grief. But they're approaching in a browsing, meandering way, not in a way that says "I have an acute problem right now." That means that the conversions (sales) on your page will be low both for AdSense and affiliate links.  Which means Google knows the links aren't relevant for your reader.

Monetizing poetry is a problem that has not yet been solved on the web. Unless the poetry is simply a change of form for what is essentially prose (telling stories using meter, line breaks, and other poetic devices is actually becoming popular), it falls through the gaps.

The web is evolving rapidly and daily.  Maybe YOU can intuit a way to monetize it.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 14 months ago

I write both articles and poetry.

While ads are allowed (if you can find some relevance to the poem for an Amazon ad), Google will place ads, regardless.

Traffic issues aside, personally, I do not like the way the ads break up the visual flow of the poem, so I always  turn ads off on my poetry hubs.

4. Suzanne Day profile image97
      Suzanne Dayposted 14 months ago

Here's an idea for all you poem writers (I've done a few but haven't pursued it here). Do a google search for poems and see what is being searched for. I think you'll find Valentine's Day and birthday poetry is the key....I remember coming across a great site with thousands of "free poems" on it and this person was killing it with adsense.