jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)

Submitting HubPages work elsewhere

1. tjlajoie profile image81
    tjlajoieposted 19 months ago

Curious...if I post something on HubPages, do I retain the copyright so I can attempt to sell something posted here for publication?  Like a magazine or journal?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
      DzyMsLizzyposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I believe that is the case--with one big caveat--the other publication must be print media only, or perhaps e-book format. 

But never, ever published elsewhere online.

If that happens you will encounter all sorts of problems ranging from possible copyright warnings ("Your content may have been copied") to duplicate content flags...which is a big no-no.

2. paradigm search profile image77
      paradigm searchposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Yes. You own it. My favorite Lizzy is also right If posted elsewhere online, life comes to an end as we know it; but who gives a flaming..., a sale is a sale. big_smile

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Hi tjlajoie,

Lizzy and Marisa have both given excellent and correct answers to your question. smile

1. paradigm search profile image77

Would you like to play?

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago

Yes you retain the copyright, but that does not mean you will be able to re-sell the work in practice.

For one thing, even print media often publish online too - and if they do, they will not accept any articles that are already published online.

Of course, if a publication does want to buy the article, you can offer to delete it from HubPages - but then you may run into another snag:  copies.  Hubs are very vulnerable to theft by other sites (far more so than articles on your own blog or website).  So even if you delete the Hub, you may not be able to offer the buyer a unique article that isn't published anywhere else - there may be stolen copies out there.

Marisa... Marisa... Marisa... Again, who cares? The buyer will know all this perfectly well.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 19 months ago in reply to this

The seller needs to know it too, to make the correct disclosures and avoid looking like an idiot.

How ya been?

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Yes they will, but they may not explain it to the OP when they turn him down!

A valid point. The good news is they may commission for other work. So do indeed publish, publish, and publish. And we still haven't discussed your belly button.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago in reply to this

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12570302.jpg

I love that photo.  My veil has blown across my tummy so my waist looks far smaller than it really is...

You from Sidney. Me from US. HubPages is not entirely useless.

working