jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Hubbers look! Infringing Site

1. pumpkincat210 profile image85
    pumpkincat210posted 17 months ago

I discovered a site which has many hubs on it.  I was notified by Google alerts..very handy tool btw.
    The site is rocketbix.com  please check to see if your hub was copied...mine was..word for word.
    How does one go about having it removed? DMCA? or is there a different way?

1. 0
      TheBizWhizposted 17 months ago in reply to this

It is showing not available when I try to go to the link.

pumpkincat210posted 17 months ago in reply to this

oops!  it's .com not .info...  sorry about that.

1. Duane Townsend profile image86
          Duane Townsendposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I tried rocketbix.info and get 'page can't be found' also. Hopefully the site was taken down.

2. 0

Wow. The first 5 or so pages looks like typical hubs, but after that it is Indian and Middle Eastern TV, music, and wardrobe info.

I did see your Green eyes Hub.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 17 months ago in reply to this

FYI  Anytime someone copies your work, even partially, you need to file a DMCA...but some countries do not honor DMCA complaints.  Once you find out where the culprit is, contact the team for help.  In some instances they can show you how to file complaints, but not in all of them.  Google can also help you if you file with them by removing the site or taking away its ability to earn.

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 17 months ago in reply to this

The Digital Millennium Copyrigjt Act is a U.S. law.  People should remember that just because our government acts like the world's playground bully doesn't actually mean our laws are enforceable everywhere,

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 17 months ago in reply to this

Isn't that basically what I just said??

1. 0

Yes, but relache just wanted to take the opportunity to bash America.

2. Molly Layton profile image92
          Molly Laytonposted 17 months ago in reply to this

So what do we do about international theft hosted outside the US?

1. flycatcherrr profile image85
            flycatcherrrposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Depends on the country, Molly.  A great many countries are signatories to international copyright agreements (the Berne and Buenos Aires Conventions, notably), which affords a degree of cooperative protection.

In practical terms, in general, a webhost that is located (physically and/or in terms of business registration) outside the US is likely to want to be cooperative with DMCA notices if (a) the country is a signatory to international treaties and/or (b) the webhost rents servers that are located within the US and/or (c) the webhost wants to avoid block IP blacklisting or similar punitive measures, etc. 

However, there are a few 'renegade' webhosts and/or countries where filing a DMCA with the webhost will get you nowhere. In that case, you can look at the domain registration (if it's a US registar, go after the domain) or look at how the website makes money (e.g. are there affiliate links, or does it show Google Adsense or other advertising?) and go directly to the advertiser or affiliate network, to cut off the profit motive.

2. paradigm search profile image80
    paradigm searchposted 17 months ago

Theft.

So tired.

Resignation.

But still file with G.

3. Pam Morris profile image84
    Pam Morrisposted 17 months ago

Did the article that was copied word for word feature your name or another name? Just wondering

pumpkincat210posted 17 months ago in reply to this

No, the article doesn't mention an author or a link back to hubpages.   Yes, it is word for word, minus author info.

4. brakel2 profile image85
    brakel2posted 17 months ago

I read one article and went back to your site, and it was your article. They picked a good one. Hope they get in big trouble. Didn't find any of mine there, fortunately. If Writer Fox is around, he always helps find the site information. I haven't seen him lately. Good luck.

working