jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 14 months ago

Once upon a time, when I first joined Hub Pages, there were some things in place that were very helpful for readers.  A couple of those have gone away.

One in particular I'd like to see come back is the original photo up-sizing when clicking on a photo or other image in a hub.

It used to be that the image/photo would be significantly enlarged, making it much easier to see.  That is no longer the case. Either it does not enlarge much, if at all, rendering the details still hard to see, or worse yet, they are often shrunken below the already small size shown in the hub.

That is not helpful in the least.  Can we please have the photo UP-sizing back???

Thank you!

1. Venkatachari M profile image85
      Venkatachari Mposted 14 months ago in reply to this

I don't know when was that facility available here. But it is a good point raised by you. I often wish for this, whenever I can't see the details in any image. I enjoy the wikimedia images, which can be viewed in larger sizes, whenever I search for photos for my posts.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Slideshows do show images in a larger format (if available) when you click on them.

You can see this by clicking the first image in my Hub about Gustave Caillebotte here.
      http://matthewmeyer.hubpages.com/hub/Ta … le-Figures

The main thing, as @Sue and @Pearldiver mentioned, is to start with an original image that is at least 1000 pixels wide.

A small image (low resolution) will not show a larger version as the original does not have enough pixels to do so.

DzyMsLizzyposted 14 months ago in reply to this

My images are that size; (relative to orientation; I size for 1000 pixels for the largest dimension of the photo; that will be either width or height, depending upon whether the original is portrait or landscape).

My comment/suggestion  referred to when reading others' hub, as an across-the-board function.

I do understand about pixelation.  However, if people's images are too small, would it not be best to have them advised of that when they are uploading them,(just as we now see such a notice for photos on older hubs that need to be re-sized), and it is done automatically when we hit 'save' from the photo edit box?
        Instead of an auto-re-size that might result in pixelation when the photo is being uploaded, it might make sense to have an informational box appear telling the person the image is too small/outside of standards,and to please edit it or find a different image to upload.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
          Matthew Meyerposted 14 months ago in reply to this

This information is included in the Style Tips in the HubTool.

DzyMsLizzyposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Yes, I have seen that come up once--but it does not prevent the photo from being uploaded, nevertheless, which is what I was suggesting...

2. Sue Adams profile image92
    Sue Adamsposted 14 months ago

The original uploaded image has to meet certain standards before it is uploaded to HP. If HP was to resize small images they would turn out pixelated.

From FAQ:
    Your images will look the best if you upload original photos in their highest resolution, and that are preferably 1000 pixels wide or wider.

I use the free program "Paint.net". It has many photoshop-like features to create, edit and resize images.

1. bravewarrior profile image94
      bravewarriorposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Liz is talking about clicking on a photo and seeing it larger, as in showing in the center of your screen. Most images on other websites can be seen in a larger form when you click on them. HP used to have that feature as well.

3. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 14 months ago

Factually, the ability to provide a platform option of a 'zoom' on photos of any size without that image becoming 'pixelated' is a relatively simply tool to provide on an interactive site. Perhaps the reason HP require users to supply images of 1000+ pixels now is because of the structural adjustments that the site has undergone over the last few years which outwardly appear to have been driven from an 'ease of management' rather than an 'exceptional user experience' perspective.  The 'free' software that Sue refers to isn't a bad program to use as she points out, but it's offered 'free' on the basis that if one appreciates the personal value of the program they make a worthy donation via paypal.