Posting YouTube videos in your hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Wavie profile image58
    Wavieposted 8 years ago

I know that hubpages is strict about violations and copyright but is it a violation to post a youtube video in your hub, which you know includes copyrighted material, which the one uploading the video did not have permission to upload? Like a movie clip or a song lyrics video. I know the internet is flooded by videos like that I was just wondering if it was considered a violation.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No - it is not a violation to post a YouTube video in a hub.

Use the video capsule, find the video you want and enter the link. If the author ever removes the video from YouTube, you will get a broken link message from HP which can be easily fixed.

HP strongly recommends that you watch an entire video before adding it to your hub, to make sure there are no problems or inappropriate parts.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

Copyright wise, it's Youtube's problem. Hubpages wise, at most you'll get a warning and have to replace the video if they think there is an issue - such as watermarking in the videos.

3. FitnezzJim profile image76
    FitnezzJimposted 8 years ago

WryLit got it, I think, All we can put in our Hubs is the link to who holds the video.  There have been occasions when I'd like to add a reference and/or a title, but for the most part, all we can do is make the link.

If you were somehow able to make a copy of the video and download it to your HubPages video storage area, then you might be creating a problem.

1. Wavie profile image58
      Wavieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't quite understand what you're saying. If I post the link into a video capsule is that okay then? Or is it only okay to post the link and direct the reader to the video on youtube?

1. FitnezzJim profile image76
        FitnezzJimposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"If I post the link into a video capsule is that okay then?"
        That is the way I've always treated it.  My understanding is that HubPages holds only the link, not the content.  You are merely providing something similar to an advertisement for the YouTube content.

That understanding changes if you load the video to your own video storage area at http://hubpages.com/my/videos/gallery.  My understanding - when done that way, HubPages holds both the content and the link.  You are at risk if you violate the originators rights at time of upload to the video area.   Fortunately for us, this does not automatically happen when you merely provide just a link in the HubPage video capsule.

And as others have so carefully stated above,  I'm not a lawyer, and I don't work for HubPages. You may need a response from someone who works at HubPages.

1. sallybea profile image95
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HubPages have retired this feature  http://hubpages.com/about/newsletter/2015-05-13

4. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago

Okay, it's been a couple of years since I caught up on the latest with YouTube and copyright, and I can't answer for what HubPages considers a violation of their TOS.  And I'm not a lawyer. And I'm also not sure exactly what you're asking here. 'Cause you seem to already know the answer - that yes, it's a violation of copyright to embed YouTube material you don't have the rights to use.

When the rights-holder of the video uploads a YouTube video, they can control whether or not to allow embedding. If they allow it, I believe this means you have the right to embed it if you do so under YouTube's Terms of Service.

Even when embedding is enabled, I've written the rights-holder/creator for permission to make sure I'm okay. That's because I'm pretty careful about knowing my usage rights 'cause I don't want a headache later. Not everyone is so careful, I'm guessing because they're willing to risk a possible headache.

However - and I think this is the situation you describe - if the person uploading the video to YouTube does not hold the rights, but does enable embedding for users such as yourself, then that STILL doesn't give any usage rights to such users who weren't the one to originally violate copyright.

It's kinda like using a photo posted on Flickr without permission from the original photographer/model.  Or buying a house without the real title, for that matter. Even if you don't know it's stolen property, you don't have legal rights to it 'cause the person who gave/sold you the property didn't legally hold it. If you know going in that it's not the uploader's IP, then that's kind of a heads-up that you're likely to have to deal with a headache later.

1. Wavie profile image58

So if I post the link to a youtube video in a video capsule in my hub, which is uploded by someone who had a right to use it then it is okay? But if the person doesn't have the right I could get in trouble as well even though I was only linking to it? Is that what you're saying?

1. Fiction Teller profile image60
        Fiction Tellerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you got it. But honestly, if I were you I'd check YouTube's current TOS to get a better sense of the state of things. When I last checked it, the TOS were vaguely worded enough regarding permissions to be unsettling.

I think I'm not a good person to listen to if what you need is a black-or-white answer.

You want to keep in mind that intellectual property law is on the cusp of going through some fairly drastic changes - it will need to, because existing law was mostly established about a century ago, in a different kind of distribution market - that of print. Today it needs to accommodate the technology of the digital age and the reality of sharing, search engines, and mashups, a world where the original work is hard to track. There are a lot of gray areas that were formerly black and white.

So though people might give you yes or no answers, and they might reassure you, if you're like me, you'll find it most reassuring to go to the source. Research copyright law on copyright.gov or ask a lawyer. If you're most concerned about complying with HubPages' policy, you can ask HubPages staff what they will or won't allow, but you might get a vague answer - like "You must have the rights to the work." Then it's a matter of doing the research to assure yourself you do have the rights. Being misinformed unfortunately isn't a good defense. smile

I wouldn't be a bit shocked if, in the future, somebody came to me and said I was using somebody's work without permission, even if I thought I had the rights. In my eyes, there's that much room for uncertainty now. For example, regarding YouTube, I believe the way video rights-holders grant embedding rights is by default. By not disabling embedding rights, they enable them. That kind of passive permission may not be acceptable in the future - and I'm not expert enough to know if any legacy action could happen if and when that kind of thing changes.

5. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Waive, it sounds murky but I believe what has been said is that it is technically an internet violation. But I don't know how often uploaders actually get in trouble for it. There must be a bazillion uploaded youtube videos on sites all over the world, including the zillion on HP. I admit to doing it myself.

There have been three occasions I can recall when all that happened was that the videos were "cut off" by the "video police" who search out unauthorized use of videos. You'll find out when you go to edit your hub and the video capsule is blank with some type of generic statement. The videos that were removed from my hubs included: Taylor Swift, Carly Simon, and a clip of President Obama making a flub during a speech.

So, take your chances as most of us do. But it is a matter of what's ethical in the end. I am guilty as charged.

1. Fiction Teller profile image60
      Fiction Tellerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Janshares,

Respectfully, I'm not sure I agree with you. Often ethics and the law coincide, but not always. In the case of intellectual property, I don't think it's that clear-cut.

When someone "steals" my work, it's quite rare that I think of it as an unethical action. In many cases, they are simply doing what comes naturally in today's social media - another kind of sharing - and they truly have no clue it's a violation of copyright. It "feels" to them like fair use.

And sometimes people do know it's illegal but have a sense that the law is unjust. It may just be that they're just unethical - or it may be that they're using their "ethical senses" to sense a change in the wind of the law, itself...

It is an interesting question especially when one has to consider that the person posting the video is the one earning from the video, not the person who put the video on their Hub.  In a way, we are helping to promote the video and the person who posted it which is why it is better to post our own videos which we place onto youtube.

1. Wavie profile image58

Not everyone on youtube earns money though.

They do if they want to, it is their choice whether they make it commercial or not.

1. Wavie profile image58

I know but surely Google wouldn't give them access to the ad program if they uploaded copyrighted material that wasn't their own smile

I never suggested that the videos were not their own.  I upload my own videos and the content is mine.

1. Wavie profile image58

Just clarifying smile You're a youtuber? cool what's your username?

Sally Gulbrandsen, I am myself.

2. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Point well taken, Fiction Writer.

2. Wavie profile image58

Janshares, I'm aware of that, so what you're saying is that the worst case scenario is that the video will be removed from youtube and hence no longer available in my hub but that's it. Me sharing it is fine.

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Basically.

6. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I use YouTube videos all the time but so far there haven't been any problems, so I doubt it matters as much as one would believe.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)