jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 14 months ago

Hi, folks, I am sorry to be a pest, but I keep coming across new things that are tripping me up as I go about revising hubs.

This is the latest one-- 
    [?]We noticed that you may be using Google Images as the source of one or more images in your Hub. We recommend only using images that are legal use."

WTH??  There is a Google image, but it is clearly marked as public domain, and that's how I searched it.  Clicking the "public domain" statement under the photo is  a link that takes you to the page from which it came, clearly marked as public domain.

I have enough issues trying to make things work, without pseudo "accusations" of using illegal images!!

1. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 14 months ago in reply to this

Maybe try using the photo from the original page and its link, instead of Google Images. Google images is a compilation of photos from different sources.

DzyMsLizzyposted 14 months ago in reply to this

I think that's what I did--but I could be wrong--I've been known to make mistakes from time to time.  lol

2. paradigm search profile image81
    paradigm searchposted 14 months ago

Mr. Algo does make mistakes now and then. If you liberated the image directly from the source website and positively know it to be public domain, then simply ignore the warning and move on. smile

3. Thelma Alberts profile image81
    Thelma Albertsposted 14 months ago

I used my own photos. I have 1 or 2 photos here in HP from my best friend but I credited it to her.

Yes, I use my own photos when I can, mostly for local area reviews or how-to articles.  But I write on many things for which I have never been in a position to take photos, or if I was, it's so long ago, pre-digital and I have no idea where those hard copies are.  In any case, an older, scanned-in photo is unlikely to be as high quality as what is available by searching.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 14 months ago

Your doing it the right way. ALthough Google allows you to search using : "advanced search/usage rights/free to use or share,even commercially." You should still look at the author's site and see the licensing(usage) terms.
    Rights such as this example "https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/" menas by= must give attribution, sa= share alike; even if you alter the image you must still give attribution. Forget about the numbers.
    This sample: "https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/ means by=must give attribution,NC=non commerical use and cannot be used on HP if you have adds, ND=non derivatives; you cannot alter the image at all.

Hope this helps

Thanks for those details.  Yes, I'm finding that searching for "public domain" doesn't necessarily give you accurate results.
      Lately, I've just been using Pixabay for photos I can't take myself.
      And, I did remove and substitute the one in question here for a Pixabay image...which is nowhere near as good or accurate for the purpose I was illustrating..but there it is.