jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)

What percentage of Hubbers are college educated?

1. TimArends profile image86
    TimArendsposted 17 months ago

Just curious--has any research been done on this? I'm talking about those with some college education as well as graduates with any kind of degree).

On the one hand, Hubpages may attract a more educated and literate audience (both in terms of readers and writers) but on the other hand, the site may also provide a forum for free expression that attracts those who lack the benefit of a formal education.

(Sorry if this question has been answered before--I couldn’t find a search link for just the forums.)

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Quantcast has those demographics, although I do not know their reliability. The site reports that 44% of visitors have some college or graduated from college; and 66% of visitors are female.

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
        calculus-geometryposted 17 months ago in reply to this

But those estimates are for visitors, not registered users.

That's right. Now I look forward to the answer about Hubbers.

2. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Good question but it would be near impossible to figure out for several reasons, such as

(1) self-reported info is unreliable
      (2) people having multiple accounts can skew the results
      (3) need to agree on a way to distinguish genuine users from non-producing accounts

3. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I'd be curious to know, too, but I don't know of any research that's been done.

I'd also like to know the distribution of ages and nationalities.

And what portion make their living fully online, and if any are 100% self-employed. And what proportion suffers from toe lint. That sort of thing.

It would be nice if you could create a hub with a poll. But then it couldn't be advertised in the forums, which you'd need to do if you wanted a decent sample.

My out-of-the-blue guess is that about 40% of hubbers are college educated. For what it's worth. Which isn't a lot. Not anything, actually.

1. TimArends profile image86
        TimArendsposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Maybe a good place to start would be looking at the statistics for the US population as a whole. For example, I recall reading that 1 in 4 have either some college or a degree (i forget which). Then determine if hubbers are slightly higher or lower than the average.

1. Fiction Teller profile image61
          Fiction Tellerposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Yup, but real tricky comparing unlike stats.  There are a LOT of non-US hubbers. For the U.S. population, is that figure counting only those eligible, or including toddlers and whatnot? And there are confounding factors like online access. The subgroup of people who have plenty of online access, are literate, have desires to create content of some type, were exposed to the idea of HubPages, chose HubPages, and then actually created accounts and hubs, seems pretty highly selected, at least to me. I kinda think that people who post here have more in common than your average members of the world. So what links them? It would be interesting to know.

2. Glenis Rix profile image83
          Glenis Rixposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Maybe a good place to start would be looking at the statistics for the US population as a whole. For example, I recall reading that 1 in 4 have either some college or a degree (i forget which). Then determine if hubbers are slightly higher or lower than the average.

Not all hubbers are in the US though. I live in England, and I have noticed that some other hubbers are in exotic locations across the Globe.

4. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Caught my curiosity. Looking at the United States Census - Education attainment tables totals for both sexes -2014 are the following results. A closer look can be found at this link http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/educ … ables.html

Total (239,341,000)    100%
      None 0.4%
      1st - 4th grade  1%
      5th - 6th grade  1%
      7th - 8th grade  2%
      9th grade  2%
      10th grade  2%
      11th grade 4%
      High school graduate  30%
      Some college no degree  19%
      Associate's degree, occupational  4%
      Associate's degree, academic  5%
      Bachelor's degree  19%
      Master's degree  8%
      Professional degree  1%
      Doctoral degree  2%

My brain is melting with everyday disasters,  but remembering what calculus-geometry pointed out to me above, I think this all means 1) 47% in 2014 had some college up to a Bachelor's and 2) Right now according to Quantcast, 44% of visitors worldwide have some college up to a Bachelor's (similar figure to Amer. population in 2014). Now to determine whether Hubbers are much different from America and the worldwide visitors...   I don't know how to do that since surveys, because of self-report bias, are not as reliable as we'd like.

Well, this is fun, anyway.

2. WriteAngled profile image92
        WriteAngledposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Wow! Those figures for graduates and PhDs seem really low to me given that a degree is now the minimum qualification for any semi-decent job and given that a doctorate can now be obtained by following a lecture course rather than by research resulting in an original contribution to one's field of academic activity.

1. Solaras profile image89
          Solarasposted 17 months ago in reply to this

I think you need a college degree to be a Starbucks' Barista.

5. csmiravite-blogs profile image86
      csmiravite-blogsposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Bachelors of Science in Accounting. CPA  --- from the Philippines. That shows in all my profiles.

2. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 17 months ago

"Many highly talented, brilliant, creative people think they're not - because the thing they were good at at school wasn't valued, or was actually stigmatized."

~ Sir Ken Robinson

Indeed, this is the experience of too many.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 17 months ago

I have an AA in Liberal Arts.  It depends on which survey you are answering whether or not that counts as a college degree.

To me, it does; I went to school, worked hard, and earned that degree.  To have it denigrated by some survey that lists only 4-year degrees as "college graduates" rather galls me.  I graduated with an AA, with honors, thank you very much, and to have that stuffed into a category of "some college" I don't feel is correct.  It skews results.

So, it is important to list the various levels of degrees to gain an accurate assessment of education level.
      I like the quote by Sir Ken Robinson posted above; it exactly describes my circumstances.  I would have gone on for a Bachelor's degree, had it not been for the math requirement for acceptance into a 4-year institution.  Math was my weak point (I'm a "words person," not a "numbers person.")  I could not grasp algebraic concepts, and that kept me from attaining a higher-level degree.

3. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 17 months ago

I'm not sure my MA ED is a relevant statistic for writing online.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
        DzyMsLizzyposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Why not?  A degree is a degree.  The question was simply 'how many are college-educated?' not "how many have degrees in writing or literature?"

wink

4. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 17 months ago

I studied journalism and I'm also a birth doula. Everyone thinks that's an indication of how I became an online writer but in fact it's not; I had to unlearn a lot of things to learn how to write online.

5. Charito1962 profile image85
      Charito1962posted 17 months ago

I graduated with a journalism degree at the University of the Philippines, and went on to work as a journalist/editor for like 10 years.
      Like WryLilt, I also had to unlearn a lot of things.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image84
      Mark Ewbieposted 17 months ago

I am 34% educated.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
        Kathleen Cochranposted 17 months ago

I read somewhere that when you get a college degree (BA, BS) you become one of the two percent worldwide.  Can't confirm.  I've often wondered about the demographics of us hubbers.  I think it would take HP doing a survey to get reliable data.  Wish they would.

2. cheaptrick profile image74
        cheaptrickposted 17 months ago

I went to a small psychiatric school in Italy called 'Whatsamatta U'...While there,I contracted a rare disease which causes your optical and anal nerves to fuse...resulting in a shitty outlook on life....I'm afraid it's terminal......see what I mean...

3. 0
        brandonbutlerposted 17 months ago

I'm Not College Educated But Common Sense Educated.

4. 0
        brandonbutlerposted 17 months ago

Common Sense Educated Will Take You Places Where College Educated Can Never Take You there For Your Life On Earth.

working