jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

New (Sub) Categories for Hubs

1. Jonathan Wylie profile image95
    Jonathan Wylieposted 21 months ago

Is there a way to suggest new sub-categories for hubs? I write a lot of articles for teachers to help them integrate technology in the classroom, but I can't ever find a category that directly relates to that other than Education and Science > Teaching. I would love to see an Education Technology/Teaching With Technology category or a something along those lines.

Has anyone successfully suggested and seen a new sub-category added to Hubpages?

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
      Jean Bakulaposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Hi Jonathan,
      The rules are constantly changing, but I think at least 10 people have to write hubs in the same category, in order to make a new category. I also have trouble finding the proper ones for my writing at times.

I can't find what I need as a category when I get to  "start a hub." A small list of categories comes up, and they are good most of the time, but sometimes not what I really need. Does anyone know how to look up or get other categories more suitable BEFORE you get the the point where you are ready to post a new hub? I know there's a big list somewhere, (and I am not sure exactly where, I usually just stay logged in) but don't understand how to get the needed title to the "start a hub" page. Thanks to anyone who cares to answer. Best of luck, Jonathan.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 21 months ago in reply to this

You can see the full list here.
      http://hubpages.com/topics/tree
      As @Jean mentioned, there have to be a minimum number (20) of Hubs in a subtopic before it is listed other than on the full topic page.

If you can't find an appropriate topic there, then let us know what you are looking for and we may create it.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
        Jean Bakulaposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Matt,
        Thanks for the topic tree link. I forgot what it was called.

2. Jonathan Wylie profile image95
        Jonathan Wylieposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Well I mentioned a couple of ideas for topics in my initial post. They don't exist right now, but it would be great if they did. "Best Education Websites" is about the closest, but there is not really anything that relates to best practices for integrating technology in the classroom or ideas for how to use specific tools to improve teaching and learning in the classroom. Existing topics in this area are more suited to listicles.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
          Matthew Meyerposted 21 months ago in reply to this

We can send a request to have a sub topic added, but unless it has 20 Hubs, then the subtopic won't be listed anywhere other than the full topic page.

That being the case, it might make sense, for Hub visibility sake, to try to use an existing category.

Does "Teaching --> Lesson Plans" match up with your Hub perhaps?

Maybe something under "Internet and the Web (2,786 Hubs)"?

If you would still like "Best Education Websites" where should it fall in the existing topic structure?

Should it be under Teaching, Computers and Software, or another category?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 21 months ago

This is not about the initial topic, but is related, and is about our self-created groups.

I'm wishing there was a way to "assign" a hub to more than one group, as there is sometimes overlap between two topics.

1. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 21 months ago in reply to this

+1

working