jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Revise the message on the HubPages Welcome Page?

1. PegCole17 profile image91
    PegCole17posted 23 months ago

One item that was important to me when I originally signed up for HubPages was finding out if the site charged users for reading articles or for writing new articles. It might encourage more memberships if wording was added to the "Welcome to Hub Pages" landing site. My recommendation is add a phrase that says, FREE to Use. Facebook says something to the effect of  "free to use and it always will be".

The other thing that is stressed in sales is that buyers have an adverse reaction to the words, "Sign the contract, sign here or sign up". Their recommended wording to reduce buyer anxiety is to friendly up the term by saying, "Approve the paperwork with your signature" or some such language as "Enroll now at no cost".

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12597559.jpg

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Great ideas.  Hope the team listens!

PegCole17posted 23 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Timetraveler2. I think they're concentrating harder on reader satisfaction than with writer satisfaction or new memberships.

2. Venkatachari M profile image82
      Venkatachari Mposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Your first suggestion is good one. They should add the word "for free" at the end of the sentence after 'passionate about'.
      The second one is not required when you add 'for free'.

Thank you Venkatachari M. Signing up on new sites is something that still gives me pause even when it's free.

3. peachpurple profile image78
      peachpurpleposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I agree, it is wise to encourage other writers to join in for free

Hello Peachpurple, Thank you for agreeing and also for your support on that hub the other day. The author's response was rather unkind to your heartfelt remarks.

4. Genna East profile image87
      Genna Eastposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Excellent ideas, Peg.  I hope that HP is listening. :-)

5. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I agree, Peg. Even something like, "sign up for free and get paid to write" would be enticing.

PegCole17posted 22 months ago in reply to this

You know, I think the page used to say that. Maybe it drew too many who thought they would get rich. Haha hah!

2. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 23 months ago

Your suggestions are good Peg.  The word "Free" seems to attract viewers.  It does for me.  smile

Hi Audrey, Glad to hear that it helps attract viewers. I may use that on my blog!

Thanks also to you Genna, Dizzy and Millionaire.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 23 months ago

+1

4. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 23 months ago

Now that you mention it, I do remember wondering about the cost when I first signed up.  I had been told it was free before I got here, but if I hadn't, I would have backed right out.

Just last week, I was told to sign in to get what was supposed to be a free download.  After I gave them my email address, they then gave me the options for the terms of the subscription, with the cost of signing up.  How irritating!.  With this kind of back-handed strategy, I wouldn't sign up even if I thought the price was reasonable.

working