jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Any hubbers writing from South Africa?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image93
    TessSchlesingerposted 20 months ago

Just arrived back home after a 16 year absence. Internet is not the same here as in other countries. Would like some feedback. Thanks. smile

2. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 20 months ago

I am intrigued, how is it different?  I am an ex-South African living in the UK

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 20 months ago

How does it feel being back?  I loved so much about South Africa when I lived in Swaziland years ago - it's such a beautiful country.  It's such a pity it's got so many problems.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I would love to see a Hub about the changes, hope we get to see one from Tessa.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image93
      TessSchlesingerposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Sallybea, very different. Lots of conflicting emotions. Still getting used to it at all. I guess I would really like to connect with hubbers who are writing from here to know what the content writing scene is like from South Africa. The area I am currently staying in is very nice. Spectacular view of Table Mountain. smile

I am sure and I am sure that you will find some like minded people still living in Africa.  I do think however that it would be wonderful to have a series of Hubs on returning 'home' to South Africa. 
        I love Cape Town, have always viewed it as being one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I will write on something like that. I didn't leave for the reasons most people left and I'm not returning for the reasons (whatever they are) that many are returning, but it appears that many are returning.

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-af … d-numbers/

"The Institute of Race Relations estimated that 841 000 white South Africans had left the country between 1995 and 2005, and by some estimates two million South Africans live abroad. Based on more recent figures, SA may be experiencing the biggest in-gathering of its Diaspora since the end of apartheid 25 years ago."

http://homecomingrevolution.com/south-a … -overseas/

"We returned after 24 years in Europe. We have lived in the most beautiful and genuinely exciting places. Vienna, Lausanne, London, Frankfurt! It was a privilege to live in these superbly organised, predictable cultures where everything works. But there is an associated cost to this predictability. It is a societal torpor – a coldness of heart that feels as if life has been iced over; a sense of individualism and righteous entitlement that puts the breaks on any open conversation about what really matters.  South Africa is a not a place for “sissies”. I realise now that it has always been a ‘frontier society’, and that when one has lived here, one is initiated into a society that is always on the edge. A South African, whether aware of it or not, is born into this reality and has to learn to live and survive, even thrive in it from the moment of birth. It can drive one demented, keep one continuously disappointed, even threatened and exhausted, but, it is also exhilarating and life affirming."

It's going to be interesting...

It will be interesting for sure. I read those links with interest and I sincerely wish you the best as yet another of my family makes preparations to leave.

smile

working