jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

A new member who wants to be a successful hacker may now follow you!

1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 22 months ago

How can people even register for membership when:
    1) Their name is a nonsense (just a list of alphanumeric characters)
    2) Their profile reveals that their intent is not honourable.

How did HubPages become a place which attracts people like this? 
    Maybe by not vetting those registering for membership closely enough?  This shouldn't have even got past a test for publication of the membership!!!
    MAKE THE HURDLES FOR JOINING HIGHER!

Note 11 of you are being followed by this individual who I have reported.
    Just in case HubPages doesn't get the message I thought it best to highlight him here as well! smile

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 22 months ago in reply to this

HubPages has always attracted people like that, starting with day one.  This may be a new phenomena to you, but it's something that's been happening for the last nine years.

makingamarkposted 22 months ago in reply to this

That probably explains the state that this website has got itself into........

What a waste of time and effort to weed out people like this when they could just raise the bar on expertise and actually have had a site with much less content which is questionable or dross - which in turn has a really adverse impact on everybody else - as Google has made plain.

The default should be that people are not "published" as members until the system or somebody has reviewed the information from an application. So what if that means it takes longer to join. Only good things come to those who wait.......

1. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Everything you have railed about since you got here a year ago are core behaviors that HubPages established from the start, and which they have never changed no matter what anyone has said in nine years.

Acting like every action HubPages takes is a dying gasp is one way to approach what they are doing, but you need to recognize it was one of those gasps that brought you and your content to the site in the first place, and that the gasping started a few years before you got here.

I may have been grateful for a home as a refugee - but that doesn't mean to say I enjoyed everything I saw. Plus free speech is a wonderful thing is it not?

I'm afraid I spent too much of my career focused on business analysis and performance management and explaining to Directors and CEOs what the problems are and why they exist to suddenly stop once I got to 60!  The only change I've made is to switch from strategies, numbers and running around the country to art, education and writing!

1. Suzanne Day profile image96
              Suzanne Dayposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I'll second you in "educating" higher ups about issues which nothing is ever done about. In the hundreds of bosses/CEOs/etc I've met, maybe only 3 of them ever cared enough about their business to make changes and actually move forward from the same, returning old issues that weren't fixed properly to begin with and went on for decades. It takes a very special, forward thinking kind of boss for that! Treasure it if you find it.

2. theraggededge profile image95
          theraggededgeposted 22 months ago in reply to this

I remember suggesting something similar at Squidoo. I think that it was that all first lenses should be approved before publishing. Of course, nothing was done and look what happened to them.

Exactly.

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Thank you MM for highlighting this.  More stringent standards MUST be applied by HubPages.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 22 months ago

I hope he followed me!

Many times have I been followed by someone who intended to copy my stuff and take it on a tour round the ass end of the writing third-world - Squidoo, Wikipedia and other awful places.  At first I was worried.

But then I try a little thing my teacher taught me called communication.

"Hey there fella" I will begin an email to the new guy.  I explain in no less than 500 words and several posts about HubPages and why we are here.

The new guy will thank me for my time and trouble.  He may offer me writing stolen from elsewhere.  Mostly I refuse to accept it especially if it came from Wiki or somewhere similarly boring.

"From little acorns mighty nuts do grow" as the old saying goes.  Words which will give us much strength in these troubled times.

This thread isn't about scams - it's about standards.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
        Mark Ewbieposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Oh my bad.

I read the title and assumed it was about followers.

Sheesh.  I could tell you some stories.

But yeah.  Standards have dropped.  In fact, from the moment I first arrived, the quality has gone down.

working