Terms of Use Update (only affects Hubbers not in the HP Ad Program)

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
    Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years ago

Hi Hubbers! Our Terms of Use are changing. The update will only affect Hubbers that elect to run Google AdSense directly (i.e., those that are not in the HubPages Ad Program).

We added information to Section 9 covering the Affiliate IDs Program and its subcomponents. The newly named Affiliate IDs Program refers to the earnings options outside of the HubPages Earnings Program, i.e., AdSense-only and Amazon Affiliates.

Please take some time to review the new ToU —  it will go into effect on September 8th, 2015.

Here is a summary of the changes:

-- The Affiliate IDs section was renamed to the Affiliate IDs Program.
    -- The AdSense-only layout is undergoing some changes:

1) Four ad units in this layout will run with the Hubber's publisher ID. This limit comes from Google AdSense —  as a large publisher, we are able to run four ads per page rather than the standard three. These four units are the highest-paying ads in the current HubPages Ad Program layout.

2) There is a new clause that allows us to run unshared ads on AdSense-only layouts. This impacts less than 5% of Hub views. It allows us to reduce the number of ad layout configurations that we need to maintain and fosters a more consistent design from Hub to Hub.

-- In Section 2, we added definitions for Earning Page View, Earning Ad Impression, Profile, and Question.

Feel free to view the updated ToU now, or at your convenience over the next couple of weeks. To see exactly what changed and where, check out this diff from W3Schools.  When the changes go into effect, we will update the FAQ. For now, you can refer to graphic below to better understand the changes to the AdSense-only layout.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12606956_f1024.jpg

1. StephanPoe profile image70
      StephanPoeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

About the four ad units, let me see if I understood, is HP adding one more ad unit to hubs or are 4 already existing ad units coming from HP ad program instead of just 3? If latter, I think it means more money, since HP Program earnings are way better.

Please explain, thank you.

EDIT: nevermind I got it, changes are only for adsense only layouts. So people who use HP ad program are not seeing any changes?

Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So, for this part we are just clarifying the ad limitation (4) in the Terms of Use. New AdSense publishers are allowed a max of 3 ads per page. However, Hubbers that choose to run AdSense on HubPages can have up to 4 ads per Hub. We've already been running 4 ads on AdSense-only layouts, but our ToU did not clearly reflect that. To summarize: this is just a change in ToU wording, not the layout itself. And it only affects the AdSense-only layout, not the HubPages Ad Program layout. smile I hope that answers your question!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hate to sound stupid, but I cannot make any sense of what you are doing, especially when looking at that page with all of the colored boxes.

Can you put this information in plain, simplified English?

Are you saying you will be placing more ads on our pages, and we will be placing less ads?

What is the deal with us supplying our Amazon ID?  I don't get that one at all.  Isn't it already there?

Finally, what will Google think of all of those additional ads, if in fact, there are any.

My mind is totally boggled, and I understand NONE of this.

H   E   L   P!!

I will do my best to explain it simpler words. smile

The Affiliate IDs Program thing is just a name change. It refers to the earnings options outside of the HubPages Earnings Program. Previously, this was called the Affiliate ID Section in the ToU. Switching "Section" with "Program" makes for a better name.

Nothing is changing about how an Amazon ID gets supplied. The only reason I brought up Amazon Affiliates is because it falls under the Affiliate ID Program.

The only material change we are making is to the AdSense-only layout. The majority of Hubbers are in the HubPages Ad Program these days, and the percentage is steadily growing over time. Those Hubbers still running the AdSense-only layout will now have 4 more ads on their Hubs, and those 4 additional ads will be unshared. I added a little more detail in my reply to paradigmsearch below.

2. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

So basically. when I do my occasional switches to straight AdSense Only, HubPages gets 100% of the revenue from half of the ads plus still the usual 40% of the revenue from the other half of the ads for desktop? And HubPages gets 100% of the revenue from the banner ad at the top and 100% of the revenue from the banner ad at the bottom for mobile, the other ads still being the usual 40%?

What with my usually using the HP Ads Program, I'm only severely disappointed. But as for those Hubbers who always use straight AdSense Only, HubPages might have a freaking riot and major exodus on their hands. Or did I misunderstand your op?

Seems to me just getting rid of the 10% Referral Program instead would be a whole lot simpler, easier, and fairer way to get the needed extra revenue. Again, let's hope I'm misunderstanding your op.

Your understanding in the first paragraph is correct. However, we expect Hubbers using the AdSense-only layout to earn about the same amount after we add the unshared ads. With this approach, we get to reduce the complexity of our code by eliminating a layout that is used on less than 5% of traffic.  Reducing complexity decreases the time we spend maintaining code and allows us to spend more time improving the site design.

1. paradigm search profile image53
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'll give it a shot. I normally use the HP Ad Program. But when my AdSense balance starts flirting with payout, I use my HP accounts to push me over the finish line. big_smile

I totally understand that. smile

3. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 8 years ago

Marina - I am a little confused...

You said that PS was correct in saying that HP will get 100% of the income from the banner ad on desktop and 100% from the footer ad on mobile - the graphic appears to be the other way around.. Which is correct?

So what is happening now is for those of us that elect to use Adsense on our hubs instead of the HP earning program half of the ads on the page will NOT be shared with the hubber but always for HP and the hubber will only get the other half of the ads for 60% of the time....

Please clarify which of the ads are for the hubber and which are for HP and will not be shared with the hubber.

I think PS meant the banner ad on mobile. In the graphic above, there are three colors for the ads:

blue: these are the direct AdSense units, where we rotate the Hubber's publisher ID with ours 60/40.

red: these are the new unshared units, where HubPages will get 100% of the earnings.

orange: these are the HubPages Ad Program ads, also shared 60/40 (no change to this program or these desktop and mobile ad layouts).

4. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

With respect to this
    " run unshared ads on AdSense-only layouts."

Does this mean the income from these ads is NOT shared?
    Does HP run unshared ads on Ad Program layouts??

1. StephanPoe profile image70
      StephanPoeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, only on adsense only layouts

2. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

From what I understood when you run Adsense: The blue boxes are 100% yours and not 60-40? Or am I mistaken.

Btw to answer your question, in the case of the HP ad program it's still going to be the 60-40 (basically shared).

The blue boxes will continue to be shared 60/40.  Please see my reply to LeanMan above.

3. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

No, the unshared ads will only be added to the AdSense-only layout -- 4 on desktop and 2 on mobile. There will be no change to the HubPages Ad Program ads.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

I am not able to see ta word for word comparison using the w3c. Your link takes me to the website, but it gives me an error message. Can you please help?

Oops, sorry about that! I fixed the link above. You can also click here to see the diff.

6. StephanPoe profile image70
    StephanPoeposted 8 years ago

I sense that a lot of people are going to be mad at this changes.. This, the feedback buttons removal, the hub pro basic, too much for people to handle.

Remember this change is for adsense only programs, most of us use HP ad so we fine. Let us not begin second HP world War this week

7. Lady Lorelei profile image86
    Lady Loreleiposted 8 years ago

So are those the only changes. I am just wondering if this section has always been in there?

5. DISCONTINUATION OR MODIFICATION OF THE SERVICE

HubPages reserves the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service or any portion thereof at any time, without liability to You or any third party. In addition, HubPages, in its sole discretion, may terminate Your password, account or use of or access to the Service (including Earning Money Through HubPages as further described below), and remove and delete any Hubs or Content, for any reason.

There is a minor change in wording here. The phrase "Earning Money Through HubPages" replaced "Impression services". Otherwise it is the same.

8. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Might I suggest when posting changes to Terms of USE that the title and opening paragraph could be more informative and effective at targeting the people you want to reach.

For example - if this change only affects one set of people why not indicate this in the title?

All those who have no idea how the thing that they don't do actually works are (I think) being unnecessarily worried.

How about a title change at this stage?

e.g. "Terms of Use Update: relates to non-HubPages Earnings Program people ONLY"

Then maybe start

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I read he entire thing last night and worried all the way through only to realize there wasn't anything new that would affect me.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

Sure, I can do that!

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Pity the same wasn't done when sending out the weekly email to members.

I think you will be receiving rather a lot of queries today asking what exactly it all means......

9. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Under Section 6 of the TOU
    .....By posting Author Content on the Service, You grant HubPages a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license to reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, distribute, modify, adapt and publish the Author Content on or in connection with the Service.
    BUT
    .........The Author, and not HubPages, will be fully responsible for all Hub Content or Author Content that is uploaded, posted, transmitted or otherwise made available by the Author on the Service (collectively "User Content").

Aren't these contradictory? Let's say Hubpages modifies the contents of one of my hubs and it becomes offensive or defamatory in some way. => How can I be held responsible for the changes? Could this occur via Hubpro Basic or auto editing in some way, without my express permission? How are the changes tracked?

Thanks

10. paradigm search profile image53

Just a general comment because of some of the posts here I've seen...

A lot of the stuff in TOS/U is legal boiler plate. I'm no fan of such, but a lot of it is necessary for a website to defend itself against frivolous lawsuits.

This legal boiler plate stuff is rampant both online and offline.

What it boils down to is this... If you trust an entity, then do business with them. If you don't trust an entity, then all the legalese in the world won't protect you.

11. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 8 years ago

Another question...

Has the process that you use to award views to Hubbers (60%) and to HP (40%) changed? Or have you only changed the wording?

You no longer "rotate" the impressions giving us 60%... We now have a random chance of being awarded an impression... Is that correct? So now our 60% could be 50% or 70% over the month depending on the laws of chance?

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

@leanman

This is the way it's always worked, but hopefully more specific.

13. Venkatachari M profile image86
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

This will give a clear picture to the Terms of Usage. The ambiguity in wordings has been removed by making everything clear-cut. There will be no difference in the earnings anyway as far as I understand. The adsense only users will be getting their revenue from 4 ads which they have been getting prior to this update also. Only the layout of ads will be changing as per the graphics presented in the above notice.

14. paradigm search profile image53

Mobile 100% on top banner is a deal breaker; not to mention half the ads being 100% on desktop. But that's ok; it's been so clearly demonstrated here as to general cluelessness. Fortunately, I mostly do HP Ad Program.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)