jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Dealing With a Perspective Publisher (first time)

1. imadork profile image82
    imadorkposted 7 years ago

Over a month ago I sent in a hub of mine to a certain publisher.  The next day I received a reply saying (paraphrasing)

"I like it!  Has it ever been sold before?  How many words is it?"

I replied with the answers promptly and waited.  You could imagine how excited I was.  This would be the very first time I actually sold something I have written!  My patience was put to the test.  A couple weeks go by without any response to my reply of their questions.  I finally gave in and emailed, asking if they were still interested in buying.  She responded "yes" and that she will get back to me.

Over two weeks have gone by since that last correspondence.  I am not a very patient man.  Please tell me if this wait is normal.  Also, tell me if my impatience is justified or not.

1. Sufidreamer profile image81
      Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Send her another e-mail - if they do not buy it there and then, you are probably out of luck. She may be trying to be polite - that sucks, and it is better if they tell you yes or no straightaway. A writer is a professional and should be treated as such wink

Don't lose heart - It is about playing the numbers game. Send your work off to as many publishers as you can, and you will get picked up by someone. Once you have the breakthrough, others will follow. smile

2. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

imadork, normally they deal with agents but normally it can take 4-8 weeks for a response. Don't panic you will do fine. smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have wasted more time than I care to think about with agents. One had me almost completely rewrite a huge proposal I had made 3 times over a 6 month period and then disappeared off the face of the earth lol

I suggest you just assume they do not want it and continue submitting it as you were. If they do come back in 8 months time when she has convinced her boss (or not) that it will sell it will be a pleasant surprise.

I think you are wasting your time chasing her up.

2. imadork profile image82
    imadorkposted 7 years ago

Shit!  Here we go!  My post goes down on the page and gets lost in the shuffle.  Damn!

3. Research Analyst profile image79
    Research Analystposted 7 years ago

No news is still good news... it will happen.
    How about self-publishing?