jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Resurrection of very old threads is tedious

1. makingamark profile image72
    makingamarkposted 19 months ago

I'm seeing ever such a lot of old threads resurrected in the forum of late.
    It's not just tedious - it also runs the risk of spreading misinformation (i.e. things have moved on).

Can HubPages not introduce a rule along the lines of "CLOSE THREAD TO COMMENTS if there has been no comment on a thread for over 12 months" then the thread is automatically closed to comments - but remains accessible in terms of the discussion.

That way people won't be able to resurrect a thread which is highly historical.

1. jgshorebird profile image85
      jgshorebirdposted 19 months ago

I disagree. If old threads are tedious, one can chose not to read them. I've read threads years old, containing valuable information...and responded. The authors often reply and answer questions.

makingamarkposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I never said the forum threads should not be accessible IF somebody searched for them.

Just that resurrecting very old threads which weren't immediately apparent as being years old could be extremely confusing to people if what was being said is "what happened then" rather than "what happens now".

2. Don Bobbitt profile image92
      Don Bobbittposted 19 months ago

One man's OLD THREAD is another man's GREEN article.
      And, BTW, lack of readership will get an article re-rated.
      So, I assume you are speaking about Forums, which are, so often, subjects that age quickly.
      DON

I was indeed Don talking about forum threads!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image96
      FatFreddysCatposted 19 months ago

99 percent of the time, if an old (1 year or more) forum thread is being resurrected, it's because a spammer has chosen it to post a link to their nonsense weight-loss site, or whatever.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Not really.   Most of the time it's because very old threads are showing up in the "related" section at the bottom of Hubs.  Even I've been guilty of picking up on one of those, even though I should know better.

Solving it is just a matter of tweaking that section so anything more than six months' old doesn't get included.

1. SmartAndFun profile image91
          SmartAndFunposted 19 months ago in reply to this

+1.

That is all it would take to keep 99% of it from happening.

2. makingamark profile image72

That's a good option.

I really don't understand why ANY forum threads should be highlighted on a hub in any case.

I don't think I can be the only person who finds the mixing in lists of hubs, questions and forum threads to be very, very confusing!

Talk about mixed messages!

working