Payment

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. utopiaOFwellness profile image59
    utopiaOFwellnessposted 8 years ago

I HAVE WRITEN 23 HUBS AND HAVE MADE 2 cents!   
    ARE HUBPAGES BS!
    IS IT WORTH ME CONTINUING...

1. Niecey Doc profile image61
      Niecey Docposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is certainly discouraging.
      I am a newbie, and to be honest, I am not expecting to make much, if any, money off this. I'd love eventually to write guest blog posts etc but need to build a portfolio first. I think this is a good place to start and begin to hone skills before moving on to other things.
      So maybe it is worth continuing, but see it as a stepping stone to greater things.

utopiaOFwellnessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, thanks for the insight, I guess you're right, but it would have been nice to make some pocket change...
        Thanks

2. Amanda108 profile image86
      Amanda108posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I - as well as many other writers here - know for a personal fact that Hubpages is a legit site for people to earn money (aka reaching the payment threshold) from well-written articles. Learning about and keeping up with elements such as SEO, changes in the site and Google's expectations, good layouts, photography tips, and so on can be a big help.

But ultimately none of it matters if people aren't clicking on an article that helps them or entertains them, one that they want to stick around and read. A writer particularly needs to be aware of grammar and spelling. Of course everyone makes typos or other mistakes now and then. But a hub should be easy to read - and the title should never have an error, or if one is discovered then you need to fix it immediately.

I noticed when I clicked on your name (in order to learn about you and try to offer suggestions) that I was barraged with spelling errors - in your personal description, your Hub summaries, and even in the titles of your hubs. Perhaps you could start using some form of spellcheck? And there are also many online resources for learning or reviewing basic grammar.

I'm sure others will have different opinions or advice, but the grammar/spelling issue was the one that seemed most blatant and most likely to be impacting your chances of income in my opinion. If you're willing to do research (for inspiration and a sense of which topics may be something you have new info or perspective to add to on the internet: an aspect every hubber has to constantly consider), review and improve the technical aspects of your writing (in old hubs and in new ones), and spend time writing longer hubs then I definitely think you should stick around because it's a great site. Good luck!

1. jlpark profile image79
        jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm in agreeance with you. The spelling mistakes are off putting - particularly when in the title, not to mention in the bio.

Google ranks your hubs in it's search engines and this is helpful in getting people to your hub, therefore more money. However Google doesn't like badly spelt hubs, particularly when the title is also misspelt, and this will badly affect your ranking and your money earned.

I'd suggest you check your articles for spelling and grammar, make them longer - take the advice of the Hubpages template - it's there for a reason. Learn how to keyword well so that it is optimised for Search engines. Take your time with your articles/hubs.

Also....if you are ton profess to being a 'doctor' in any profession, bad spelling and grammar isn't going to make that feel accurate to those reading.

And be patient! You've been here 2 months! Good things take time.

3. Alyssa Grey profile image65
      Alyssa Greyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, I noticed that your score is a little low as well. I'm still new to this myself but I've noticed that lengthening your articles might help that. I'm not certain if your score really helps to improve profits in any direct way, but it couldn't hurt!

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, Utopiaof Wellness, and welcome to Hub Pages

The site is, indeed, legitimate.  However, it is not a 'get rich quick' scheme.  Those do not exist.

You need substantial content; longer articles, and many more than what you have. 

You need to allow plenty of time for your work to get indexed by the search engines, and for that to happen, you need to be sure that the little letter "H" inside a black circle has been awarded to your hub articles.  (This is found at the extreme right-hand side of your list of articles on the "My Account" page.

A half-filled-in circle with no letter indicates the article is not featured for lack of engagement, which essentially translates to traffic coming from outside Hub Pages.

A blank circle means the article is not featured for quality reasons.  This could be anything from poor spelling and grammar, to being too short to provide good information, or even 'spun' content which has been largely re-worded from another website.

Many of the long-term members here have seen drops in their income, as well, and this is largely due to Google having unleashed several updates to "improve reader experience" over the last few years.  Google considers Hub Pages to be one of many so-called "content farms" on the Internet, and it is penalizing all of them.
      Hub Pages staff is scrambling to come up with antidotes, but it is a slow process.

The days of making a buck (or more) a day has become rare for all but a few of the best and most established Hubbers on the site.  For the rest of us, it is just "pocket change" that doesn't add up terribly fast.  This is true of all writing sites online anymore.

That said, Hub Pages is among the best of those that survived Google's "zoo attacks," (Penguin; Panda),  and my advice would be to stick with it.  But don't expect to make a living or even a supplemental income, for you will be disappointed.  Blame Google.

However, an extra $50 (the payout threshold) here and there might buy you a treat you didn't want to take from your normal household budget.

Best wishes!

5. emge profile image78
      emgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Frankly Hub pages is not the site to make money as it pays a miniscule. I have 36 featured hubs and earned perhaps 60c in 5 months. Thats not much. The crucial point is that all writing sites are in decline and the one that used to pay -Bubblews is down and out.

6. Pollyanna Jones profile image96
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, do make sure the spelling and grammar is all correct before you publish. It's worth writing an article in Word, checking and saving it, before building your Hub with this. You get the spellcheck facility, and you also back-up your article in case anything goes wrong.

Social media helps me to get more views. Have you thought about opening a Facebook page or Twitter account to share links to your Hubs when you have published them? If they get spotted by groups or pages with similar interests, you can get lots of views.

HubPages does make me money, but no way enough to pay the rent! I have about 50 published and have been here for a year. Don't give up, just use this as an opportunity to improve.

7. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had just read two of your hubs; spelling errors may be the cause of your hub low score and earnings. Sorry if I sound like a teacher. Please edit and publish again. Then, google might like your hubs
      \
      Btw, it took me 50 hubs to start earning money, yours at 23, you gotta be patient. It took me 6 months to get my first payout, so please don't expect a miracle overnight. Cheers

8. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been here for nine years.  You are making exactly what I would have expected given your topics, the type of content you are creating, and the amount of information you are offering.

2. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 8 years ago

If you are here to make money, you may be disappointed. I am approaching my fourth year on HP and while I do not make much money, that is not my reason for staying.
    There are so many lovely people who offer insight and differing opinions that I am rewarded so much more by that than by any financial  pay I may receive.
    Wishing you well Angels are on the way to you this evening  ps

You are absolutely right, there are so many wonderful people on HP But the truth remains, we r writing for someone & someone is profiting & its not us... sad
      Thanks 4 your thoughts

3. Kristen Howe profile image91
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I've been here for almost a year. You do need to promote your hubs via social media (Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Google+) and you can share them here. If you have a blog, website or domain, you can do it here. You do need to be more active and comment on other hubs, ask questions and answer in the forum. That's how I've been driving traffic for a bunch of my hubs, though it would take me awhile for me to get to the big payout of $50. I make a little bit every month. If you have ad capsules, that can work too.

OK, thanks 4 your help, great info smile

4. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

I agree with Peachpurple that 50 is a good number of hubs to shoot for before assessing whether or not you can make a bit of pocket change here. In addition to good spelling and grammar, Google also seems to prefer sites (ie your personal HP account) that have a decent amount of pages. I started getting more traffic when I hit around 50-60 hubs, although that was a few years ago, and best practices advice see,s to change monthly, yearly or even daily.

I would work on giving your articles more searchable titles. If someone is searching for the information your hub is providing, what would they type into Google? That should be the title of your hub, not something cute or clever.

There are seemingly millions of people writing online about natural healthcare and treating diseases with food, so unless you have information or a slant that no one else is offering, it is going to be difficult to rank above sites like that "Nature Ranger" (or whatever) "Dr." Adams dude who leads people to believe he is a medical doctor although he is not.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Also your spelling is atrocious even in the titles (your top two titles "Anxieity" "Extrodinary") , and you are using pixelated images you don't seem to have the rights to.

6. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

Others who have been here awhile have already answered this post rather well but let me just chime in to add support to what they've said: You can make regular money here if you write well and write what people are looking for. That's it in a nutshell.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

You make money by having your own web sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)