jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

Is Grammarly's Plagiarism Checker enough?

1. adevwriting profile image79
    adevwritingposted 19 months ago

I wanted to know whether Grammarly's Plagiarism Checker is enough for detecting and avoiding plagiarism. Is there any other safe method (like Googling the text)?

Thanks!

1. days leaper profile image51
      days leaperposted 19 months ago in reply to this

suggest not, though it is better than nothing.  better to reference a quote properly and waffle on about what the various sides of the debate think of it (again, with references)
      would suggest reference are all important but still rework the words as well as using common speak or "baby talk" etc.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 19 months ago in reply to this

In what sense, to check whether your own work has been,stolen?  It's a laborious way to do it. Copyscape costs only a few dollars and is much easier.

adevwritingposted 19 months ago in reply to this

While creating your own work so that you check whether the same work is not present elsewhere.

1. Kylyssa profile image96
          Kylyssaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

If you are writing original material is it really a concern? Or have we reached the point where there are so many people writing so much that people can accidentally write exactly the same words as someone else?

We can't be certain about anything in life. There is nothing with being on the safe side, right?smile

Are you paraphrasing your own or someone else's work and wonder if you've changed the original enough to have it not register as duplicate content? Or are you genuinely concerned that you'll accidentally write exactly the same thing as someone else? The second seems profoundly unlikely, not quite on the level of a monkey with a typewriter accidentally typing out a Shakespeare play, but beginning to approach it.

@Kylyssa What you're saying is quite reassuring! smile I have had such instances (not too frequent like you said) when writing where what I write on my own seems to have significant plagiarism. Maybe because I've read something somewhere and forget about the source?

Thanks for assurance!

If you've accidentally plagiarized something by writing what you remembered and thinking it was your own thoughts then maybe your memory is a lot better than you ever realized! If you could tap into a skill like that consciously, you could probably learn a lot in a very short time.

Thanks for the praise but according to me my memory is average. Isn't it an issue among other hubbers?

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 18 months ago

I dealt with a lot of plagiarism as a lecturer, and never ever did someone writing from their own head with no source material in sight "accidentally" plagiarize.  Using the occasional common expression or trite term of phrase that appears elsewhere is not plagiarism.

working