jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Feedback on Hub Selected for HubPro Basic - What's wrong with it?

1. Kylyssa profile image96
    Kylyssaposted 18 months ago

One of my most popular hubs, Do It Yourself Bloody Handprint Window Clings, has been selected to be edited with HubPro basic. It's gotten a thousand or more views a day in September and October each year leading up to Halloween since it was created in 2012 and it's been shared many times on Pinterest and on crafting blogs.

From what I can tell, HubPro Basic is the low-end service for fixing hubs considered low quality or spammy. Please help me figure out what the editors consider low quality or spammy about the hub before it ends up losing something that has drawn hundreds of thousands of readers to it just in time for its high-traffic period. 

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12629979.jpg

1. Robin profile image
      Robinposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Hi, Kylyssa!  We actually had a little hiccup with our emails.  This Hub is eligible for HubPro Premium where you will be working closely with an editor.  I will get back to you tomorrow with more information. I'm so sorry for the confusion!

Kylyssaposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for your prompt response. It could use better photos or instructional illustrations as the camera I had back in 2012 wasn't the best and I'm sure the tutorial could use some tightening up. I'm eager to see what the Premium service has to offer. I was hoping to have a hub chosen for HubPro Premium editing so I could write a hub about how it compares to having an article edited for a magazine.

Just to let you know, the HubPro Basic editing service post reads as if the service is for fixing hubs so spammy and so low in quality they'd be un-featured without it. Admittedly, it'd been an almost ridiculously rough day for me before I saw the notice so it read like more of an insult than it might have otherwise, but the wording on the HubPro Basic description could use some work. I think a more positive tone would be likely to greatly improve how people perceive it. I think more people would want it if it were worded more like a service to improve poorly executed hubs with good potential enough to pass QAP and to reflect better on HubPages and the author than like an indictment of spam.

1. Solaras profile image90
          Solarasposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Good luck - I hope it brings you double views coming up on your holiday season!

2. Lynne-Modranski profile image85
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 18 months ago

I had one of my high traffic hubs go through Hub Pro Basic after it was selected just to see what they would do.  Just had a few minor spelling grammar changes.  So I don't think selection is a derogatory remark on your hub.

3. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 18 months ago

Thanks for the feedback, Kylyssa.  I will take a look at the email and try to make it more positive.  It is not meant to be seen as an insult, although there are some Hubbers that will have their spam removed and so we need to be direct about that.  For most Hubbers. it's just a friendly grammar and spelling check. smile   Sorry again about the mix up!  We will be emailing you in the next few weeks about your Halloween Hub!

Kylyssaposted 18 months ago in reply to this

If I hadn't already had a profoundly, truly rotten day before getting the notice I probably wouldn't have read it as one of my highest traffic hubs being deemed a steaming pile of poo that would be permanently altered without my input in order to remain published.

Wouldn't it be more effective to just make the presence of spam on a hub cause it to automatically fail QAP? It could be set up to kick out an automated message to the hubber explaining what spammy elements are and asking him to remove them and resubmit the hub if he wishes it to be featured. That way you wouldn't be lumping intentional spammers together with people who just need some help with grammar or other elements of hub execution. I think that's what struck a nerve.

1. Robin profile image

I'm sorry for your profoundly, rotten day.  I know when I have those days, everything seems to pile up in a negative way; I hate that we contributed to making you feel bad.  Sorry! 

A lot of Hubs do fail the QAP, but if we can edit out the spam quickly on high-traffic Hubs then the Hubber and HubPages won't lose large amounts of traffic overnight.  If Hubbers add the spam back, then their Hub will likely be defeatured for quality.  Not all Hubs that are eligible for HubPro Basic have spammy elements, but some do and we need to take care of them.  I appreciate the feedback.  smile

4. calculus-geometry profile image85
    calculus-geometryposted 18 months ago

I have a green box notification on my account page that one if my hubs is going to be edited with HubPro Basic.  Does that mean a human is going to proofread it, or is it going to be run through HP's new automated tool?

1. Robin profile image

It's a human.  smile  Our automated tool isn't out yet.  I personally approved your Hub for Basic editing; It won't need much editing at all.

1. calculus-geometry profile image85
        calculus-geometryposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Ok, thanks. I'm very interested to see how the automated one works.

working