jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Plugins on wordpress that hijack your earnings.

1. LeanMan profile image83
    LeanManposted 13 months ago

Just a heads up for anyone that has their own wordpress blogs or sites and uses different plugins.

A couple of my sites have seen an increase in traffic but no subsequent increase in sales or anything else so I had all but given up on them... Then I noticed an odd advert that was out of place when I visited one of the sites....

I had installed Shareaholic plugin to put the usual facebook and twitter buttons to allow people to share - since I have installed the pluging they have updated the plugin to also include a revenue sharing option.
    The default setting is ON... It will hijack your outgoing product links and add their skimlinks code so that the sale goes through them.... So if you have not noticed that they have included this revenue sharing you will be losing sales to them and they will not be "sharing revenue" as you will not have set up an account with them to get the money from them!!

Beware and check your other plugins when you update them to see what they have added!!

And if you have Shareaholoic plugin go take a look at what it is doing!!!!!

1. agvulpes profile image88
      agvulpesposted 13 months ago in reply to this

It would appear that more and more Websites are feeling the 'pinch' and need to find ways of increasing their income, apparently they don't care where they get if from smile

2. SimilarSam profile image72
    SimilarSamposted 13 months ago

I did use to this plugin for a small local business website because it met our needs but its really unfortunate if they've made this the default option without letting anybody know.

3. lobobrandon profile image81
    lobobrandonposted 13 months ago

That's plain old cheating! You should write on the WP forums if you haven't already. There are plenty of people who depend on their site earnings totally who may be in a fix right now.

1. LeanMan profile image83
      LeanManposted 13 months ago in reply to this

There are some comments there from people there about this plugin. I searched it first as I just could not believe what they had done... When I first installed the plugin it only added the sharing buttons. They added the ads quite some time ago but unless you actually went into the plugin and looked at the settings there was no way for you to know! And even if you looked at the settings it was a one liner that you had to click that hidden below the fold so you may not see it...

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 months ago

Thanks for the heads up! I used Shareaholic for awhile, but found them a bit clunky and they slowed my site.

I started using SumoMe instead and have found them a lot better.