jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

The New EditBot: Suggestions from the Writers

1. TeriSilver profile image91
    TeriSilverposted 13 months ago

OK, I thought to make a more comprehensive post, here.  Please add your two cents (but try not to duplicate concerns, too often; this helps the folks at HP to go through everything more easily). 
    *  Let the writers decide whether they want to opt in or opt out. Provide a button for that.
    * Do not make changes in article copy; send emails to the writer saying that an "error" has been caught and let the writer decide whether it is necessary to deal with the issue. (In my case, most of the changes, were for alternate spellings (which I always check before publishing and often, deem OK).  The other problem is that the EditBot changes branding and promotion spelling for particular products.
    * Remove the editing icon after the page has been viewed by the writer. Change the color of the icons each time the Bot makes its run.

And what else?

1. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 13 months ago in reply to this

HP should make an error submission form for authors to report genuine editbot mistakes.  For example, it apparently autocorrects "try and" to "try to" without seeing the context, which often results in errors.  In math hubs, it sometimes doesn't understand when "A" is being used as a variable and in education hubs it sometimes doesn't understand "A" being used as a letter grade.

1. janderson99 profile image86
        janderson99posted 13 months ago in reply to this

Also issues with Vitamin A ......

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Marina just posted an update related to EditBot here.

2. Elderberry Arts profile image97
    Elderberry Artsposted 13 months ago

Totally agree with all your suggestions. Also it would be good if there was a way to skip through to each correction to make checking easier.

3. Kryssy OSullivan profile image85
    Kryssy OSullivanposted 13 months ago

I really think the editbot shouldn't tag us for someone else's errors, when it comes to comments...

4. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 13 months ago

Suspend editbot until the kinks are worked out; re-think if this was the best choice for an auto-check app for HP.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
    Kathryn L Hillposted 13 months ago

I think its brilliant. How can the program edit every single hub?
    Its very educational for all!

It forces those who call themselves writers to get consciences in their writing and editing.

6. makingamark profile image76
    makingamarkposted 13 months ago

If the EditBot is consistently averaging under 1 error or less per 1,000 words per published hub leave that Author alone - they know what they're doing!

(ie find a rational hurdle mark (eg error rate per 1,000 words) where everybody above MUST be subject to Editbot and everybody below is not or sampled periodically only)

Do not include errors which are not errors - i.e. they are due to a not very intelligent (as yet) EditBot

7. makingamark profile image76
    makingamarkposted 13 months ago

Apply the EditBot to comments only in the first instance.

After these have been eliminated and the slate cleared then assess the author's error rate per 1,000 words and Editbot should then ignore all those who have an error rate less than a standard which is acceptable for a good writer.

8. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 13 months ago

I just want those icons to go away because they're starting to become a nuisance.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
      Kathryn L Hillposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Just ignore them. They are for the greater good.