jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Yep.. I just want to say...

1. joween18 profile image81
    joween18posted 13 months ago

Just wanted to express this..

I LOVE EDITBOT smile
    Thanks! big_smile

1. Elsie Hagley profile image82
      Elsie Hagleyposted 13 months ago in reply to this

I love it also, most of my mistakes are using "a" instead of "an".
      Still not sure which is right, I was taught sixty-five years ago to use "a" in New Zealand.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 months ago

I am very mediocre about it.

I DO NOT get all the whinging about it. It edits very minimally compared to what I hoped/expected, especially on hundreds of badly written comments.

I DO wish we had the choice to have it automatically set to "off" rather than "on".

I DO wish it got in there and correctly edited more comments. For instance so many don't have a capitilised first letter, no commas, run on sentences... lol!

1. joween18 profile image81
      joween18posted 13 months ago in reply to this

That seems to be a hassle for the developers.. but yeah.. That is a must.. smile

3. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 13 months ago

I kind of like it too and I appreciate that admin is cleaning things up, so to speak. It's not perfect, but it seems to catch a lot of errors, especially in comments where people seem a bit lackadaisical in using language correctly.

4. Inspired Heart profile image84
    Inspired Heartposted 13 months ago

I like Editbot too! I am happy it catches the few typos in my hubs and fix some mistakes in the comments sections.

Thank you HubPages admin.

5. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 months ago

I feel the same as WryLilt.  The system has its weaknesses, some of which are slightly annoying but I can't see anything to justify so many people being in high dudgeon (can you tell I've been reading Regency novels lately).

1. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 13 months ago in reply to this

The level of annoyance people feel varies depending on they type of content they write, as surely you can see that people who write more technical content, use foreign phrases, quotes, puns, etc. are finding more editbot miscorrections compared to people who write straight-up plain English prose.  I am seeing about a 5% error rate with editbot on my hubs and their comments.

6. Titia profile image88
    Titiaposted 13 months ago

The editbot is good for typos, but it misses the point totally in some cases. I have a quote on one of my hubs by W.C. Fields which goes:

The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath.

The editbot has no brain obviously and had edited it to:

The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with bated breath.

I don't think that's what W.C. Fields had in mind when he said/wrote this line.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 13 months ago in reply to this

This of course is the problem with humour and word play. All robots are too stupid to appreciate it, and that includes not just Idiotbot but also the Google bot. As a result, the web feeds us with grey, boring pap, which generally also targets a reading age of 8 or so to make it acceptable to the illiterate masses, and thus to advertisers, and thus to Google.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Right you are, this is maddening to say the least!

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 13 months ago

And those changes are instant-live.  I would rather be given a period of time to check them first.

8. Tealparadise profile image89
    Tealparadiseposted 13 months ago

With all the changes over the past 2 years (mainly the human revisions, but also stuff like this), traffic to my hubs has gotten significantly better without me lifting a finger.  Can't thank hubpages enough!

1. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 13 months ago in reply to this