jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Not Featured Traffic - Had Pleanty of Pinterest Traffic - Confused

1. ILoveLegosToo profile image62
    ILoveLegosTooposted 20 months ago

I am confused. 

I have a hub that was getting major Pinterest traffic (500 views a week for the last year).  Then, the status of the hub changed to "Not Featured - Traffic".  And now, the hub does not receive any traffic, at all.  The Pinterest traffic immediately stopped when the status changed.  How could this happen?

Here's my confusion, I take "Not Featured - Traffic" to mean that it is not receiving search engine traffic from Bing etc., but shouldn't affect any social traffic from the likes of Pinterest, Facebook, etc.

My conclusion is that Pinterest uses the search engines for their traffic. Hubpages should include this traffic in their rules when determining a hub status is changed to "Not Featured - Traffic", which it currently does not.  Had the status of my hub not changed, I believe I would still be receiving traffic from Pinterest.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Hi ILoveLegosToo,

Having a Hub's status changed to Not Featured does not affect social traffic. Your Hub is still available for readers to find and Repin on Pinterest (unless it has been unpublished as well as unFeatured). However, spikes of social traffic tend to peter out naturally on their own over time. Since you know your Hub is highly shareable, you can always Pin it again and see if it regains some traction.

P.S. I am also a huge fan of LEGOs. Best of luck. smile

1. ILoveLegosToo profile image62
        ILoveLegosTooposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Thank you Christy.  Your answer is a great way to move forward, but over the last 7 years, I've rarely seen an article, hub, etc. of mine go completely dark without some technical cause.

As I think through this logically, I lost all of my Squidoo redirect traffic on the hub status change.  This is the only reason the hub would go completely dark.  Checking some of my hubs that have never had their status change, I can type in the Squidoo URL and it redirects correctly.  This one, however, the redirect no longer goes to my hub.  This is disappointing as I lose all of this traffic (money) and Hubpages gets a black eye because the redirect now goes to a generic page about Hubpages acquiring Squidoo.

Hi ILoveLegosToo,

I have contacted the Engineering Team, and your redirect should be reinstated now. Sorry for the glitch and thank you for your patience.

2. ILoveLegosToo profile image62
    ILoveLegosTooposted 20 months ago

Thank you Christy for the quick reply, and I have validated that the redirect is back in place.

When something like this happens through code, my experience is that it is not isolated to just this one.   I'm sure I have quite a few more where this has occurred, not to mention the entire migration.  Will the Engineering Team be looking at all the redirects to make sure they are all back in place and it doesn't occur in the future?  Or, do I need to identify each one individually?

This issue is now fixed across all Hubs that were affected, so there is no need to go through each individual Hub. Thanks again for reporting the problem and for providing the details that helped us track it down. smile

working