jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Photos

1. Chantelle Porter profile image90
    Chantelle Porterposted 20 months ago

For anyone who takes great photos. Any tips for taking pictures of things that are brown? Like breads. I seem to have a very hard time showing the detail. It winds up looking like a big brown blob. While I'm thinking about it, I have a hard time showing detail in black. Like showing the features of a tiny toy black poodle.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chantelle

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
      LuisEGonzalezposted 20 months ago in reply to this

A lot depends on what set up (camera, lenses, lighting etc) you have. Let me know and I will give you some suggestions.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image87
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 20 months ago in reply to this

You need a really good angle that shows shadows.  Shine a bright light on one side, and take the picture close up on a slant.

2. Chantelle Porter profile image90

Oh Geez. An Iphone.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
    LuisEGonzalezposted 20 months ago

OK well...The only thing that you can do is to set your subject near a window but keep it from getting direct Sunlight (You need it to be illuminated only not for the Sunlight to fall directly on it).
    The subject should face the window and place a white card on the other side to bounce back some light. This should give a balanced illumination.
    Other than that there's not much else you can do since the photos are limited to the Iphone's abilities. Just in case here are a couple of good links: http://iphonephotographyschool.com/quick-tips/
    and : http://iphonephotographyschool.com/tips/

4. Chantelle Porter profile image90

Thanks guys!

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 20 months ago

I would add to be sure that the surface on which you place your item has a good contrast to the item.

In other words, don't try to take a photo of brown beads on a dark surface, or stained wood, especially if it has a strong grain pattern.

Use a neutral background, such as pale beige, or a light pastel.  Stay away from bright or neon colors for the background, and make sure it is plain, with no pattern or design of its own.

working