jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Mp3 capsule

1. DasEngel profile image60
    DasEngelposted 13 months ago

A little background music for a hub

I'm currently doing a hub, and because of the exotic nature of the subject that I'm dealing with on that hub, I've felt the need for a new feature. I want a capsule where I can submit the link to any YouTube video and I want its music to be played (on a low note) whenever a Google end-user (or anyone else) lands on that hub. Even better, if I'm allowed upload my own mp3.

The music should appear for a very brief while (maybe 5 or 6 seconds, I should be allowed to determine its length), and then fade away. And it should only play once, not play again if reloaded the page. I was thinking it might be good because mp3 gives a kind of 3D effect.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Hi DasEngel,

This kind of thing used to be common in websites many years ago, but designers and engineers have since realized that it's actually a very bad user experience to force music or sound effects on your readers. People visiting websites much prefer to have control over whether or not they are hearing sounds or music and when those sounds or music play, which is why we don't have any kinds of capsules like the one you're describing.

1. theraggededge profile image94
        theraggededgeposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Thanks be to heaven.

Those things would make me jump if my speakers happened to be left turned up to full volume. It was always a scrabble to find the tiny little app on the page and click that X.

2. DasEngel profile image60
        DasEngelposted 12 months ago in reply to this

I get it now. Thank you. :-)

2. RonElFran profile image98
      RonElFranposted 13 months ago in reply to this

I often listen to music while I'm on the web, and hate it with a passion it's hard to express when some website initiates unwanted audio. My response is to immediately click away from that site, for two reasons. One is just to stop the noise; I won't waste time looking for a way to do so on the site, I just drop it immediately. Secondly, and more importantly, I consider such uninvited intrusions absolutely ill-mannered and disrespectful toward me, like someone entering my house uninvited. Those sites go on my "stay away from" list.

1. tsmog profile image85
        tsmogposted 13 months ago in reply to this

I agree as well as the annoying info-commercial that fires off with a pass of the mouse over a widget. You will be reading an interesting and thought provoking article when abruptly a voice appears spewing this or that. Distracting!! Then a page search to remove the intrusive perceived BS and the article's impact is lost. Uggggg . . .

2. flycatcherrr profile image86
    flycatcherrrposted 12 months ago

Not to mention, if you're online at work & all of a sudden some hub or webpage starts blasting unwanted music at you - upsetting coworkers, tipping off the boss that you're not 100% on taks maybe, and generally noise-polluting the environment. So very 1990s.  All I can say is thank goodness it is now a very rare intrusion!