Ranking Number 1 On Google is Pointless

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (33 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

Have I got your attention? Good! I see so many forum posts about people saying they rank Number 1 on Google. Let's clear something up:

If you rank number one for something that ZERO people search, that still equals ZERO traffic.

For instance if I rank number one for "Poem About My Dog Basil" in Google, that is, as Darkside would say, a pointless keyword victory. Why? Because no one, anywhere, is likely to be typing the exact words "Poem About My Dog Basil" into Google.

You can rank #1 and #5 and #20 in Google for the exact same hub, depending on what people Googl.

No one types the exact TITLE of a hub into Google - how can they, if they've never seen your hub, and don't know the title?

Google decides how close search terms are to titles. So for instance, if you have an article about "20 Ways to Store Dried Flowers", you are equally likely to get traffic from people Googling any of the following:

How to store dried flowers.
    Storage for dried flowers.
    Store dried flowers ideas.
    Dried flowers store ideas.
    And so on....

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely correct, a point I wanted to make, glad you did. I don't see the point in a "good" position in the SERPs if traffic doesn't follow. If no one is looking for it, no traffic will come.

2. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point - and one that needs to be made repeatedly to those new to writing online.

Ranking #1 on Google is meaningless - it's what it means in terms of traffic that converts that matters

The critical issue for those wanting to make money when writing online is about
      1) how content generates traffic from people who are genuinely interested in the topic - who stay a long time on your site etc
      2) from people who want to buy items of relevance to the topic

For those who still think ranking #1 on Google is really important this video by Matt Cutts will help wink
      https://youtu.be/b7W0o65tTIQ

3. somethgblue profile image73
      somethgblueposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're correct to a point but there are more factors that go into the situation than what you explained, so although you're technically correct, the information is a little misleading.

Let's take my leading Hub article in terms of page views (Pineal Gland The God Organ, 30,000 page views [PVs] and consistently climbing everyday) for instance. Because I use Pineal Gland for the first two words in my title I get constant readers that simply Google those two words and no one will ever Google the full title.

It has spent time ranked number one for those two words alone but again your right, the specific title means nothing as far as rankings go. The point I'm trying to make is that, if we are more concerned about PVs then staying in the first five pages is important.

Three main factors contribute to this articles success, the way it was written, the title and the subject matter.

However since Google put the hammer down on how they rank HP articles the PVs on this article alone have dropped dramatically and that doesn't even take into consideration that HPs has double the length of time a reader has to stay on an article to get  PV.

So while I agree with the premise that being ranked number one is pointless for the specific title, being on page one through five is not pointless for the subject matter.

As you may know I don't write for money that isn't what motivates me but I do write to share information and the more people that read my articles the easier it is for me to share my often abstract ideas and concepts.

As usual you are spot on but let's get real the point is pretty much self explanatory.

WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The point is far from explanatory, unfortunately.

That said, you're right, ranking number one in Google is a FANTASTIC place to be, and much of my content ranks there for high traffic keywords. But that's the point - they're high traffic.

Ranking highly for a keyword which literally NO ONE Googles, is pointless.

1. somethgblue profile image73

Agreed, perhaps if the discussion could be geared in the direction of how to make that happen and what tools or tactics to use it would lend itself to helping hubbers learn what it takes to enjoy the success you have here.

You've certainly had your share and I for one salute your success!

About the only hubs I write noawadays are on that topic smile Google suggest is a big one, and using lists.

The only topics I write about is revealing disinformation, uncovering a wide range of conspiracies designed to keep humanity ignorant of their true potential, both spiritual and intellectual.

Eric Snowden is merely the tip of the iceberg, the amount of disinformation is so big and so all encompassing that most people aren't even aware they have been lied too.

Recently David Petreaus (ex-director of the CIA and retired 4-Star General), revealed that every electronic device sold after 2006 has software embedded into it that sends ELF waves (electronic low frequency that operate at the same frequency as the human brain) messages directly into the human subconscious and listens to all verbal communication.

When I say electronic device I mean anything that runs on electricity, your refrigerator, light fixtures, dishwasher, cell phone, car, computer, coffee maker, television and smart meter for your house, I mean everything get my point . . . they listen to everything and send messages constantly.

These messages are stuff like eat more sugar, don't finish that project, watch TV, go online, don't read books, your a failure, your fat, you'll never get married, play video games, smoke cigarettes and because people don't know this they don't even realize they're being manipulated.

Anyway it is an endless chore to educate people but hey they alternative is to do nothing and well that just ain't me.

I said it's the only topic I write about on here - my own websites are dedicated to putting my SEO into action on important topics. Different that yours though - mine are about the many medical issues in pregnancy and birth. My pregnancy website receives around 11,000 visits per day. Most of that is based on using lists or Google suggest to nab topics that no one else is writing about.

Here is another important factor to consider, we only have Hub Pages word on how many people click on our articles.

I have tried tracking some of my articles through other sources that record traffic and for the most part the numbers are five to seven more times than what HP considers a PV.

Consider how HP gets paid and how we get paid and you will understand that HPs screws their writers, no doubt about it.

1. makingamark profile image69
                    makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's because different 'counters' count in different ways. It all depends on the interval you determine as to when another visit should be counted as different

2. WryLilt profile image87

The most accurate way to track PV is through Google Analytics.

Hubpages data is a rolling 24 hours, plus includes any view as a view (even if it's you refreshing ten times).

2. Pacesetter Abbey profile image47
    Pacesetter Abbeyposted 8 years ago

Yeah, that's a good point you made. Actually, it's not about the number of people that read your post that matters, what matters is the number of people that learnt/gained one or two things from your writing. But sometimes a high traffic is good because it motivates you to write more.

High traffic often converts into good money too - that's why I like traffic smile

1. Pacesetter Abbey profile image47
        Pacesetter Abbeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm... Yeah, that's true.

3. Gymterest profile image59
    Gymterestposted 8 years ago

Yep I agree, it's all about finding a balance; long-tail keywords, which have a nice amount of monthly traffic. I find between 4-10k is the sweet spot, where it is not too competitive but still brings in a healthy amount of visitors.

I detest the Google keyword planner, lol! I never check traffic anymore. I'm far too lazy big_smile

1. Gymterest profile image59
        Gymterestposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Haha you're right it is inaccurate, google suggest is better. Start typing in a sentence and it has a few suggestions, some of them are gold!

Yup. I currently have 118 topics to write on from Google suggest - all with no competition. Win!

1. Gymterest profile image59
            Gymterestposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Whoa that's a lot of articles!

2. Elsie Hagley profile image71
            Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm still learning, this post has a lot of good advice. I do understand about Googles suggestion, how do you find out that there is "no competition".

1. LeanMan profile image79
              LeanManposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Do the suggested search Elsie and see what actually turns up on the search page..

Are the pages actually targeting the phrase or is the phrase just mentioned somewhere within it, is the page one of many targeting the phrase, are the top slots owned by specialized websites that have been around for a long time, etc..

1. Elsie Hagley profile image71

Thanks for a quick reply I will certainly take note of what you said.

2. WryLilt profile image87

I have a hub on how to check competition. Here's an example though...

Search term "How do I cut my hair" (Let's just pretend no one else has thought to write about this.)

If the first few results are for articles such as "How to wash your hair", "How I dyed my hair", then they're not specifically answering the question.

If there are results which say "How do I cut my hair" but they're all on sites like Yahoo Answers and forum threads on haircare sites, then they're low competition (because they're not real articles).

1. Elsie Hagley profile image71

Thank you Wrylilt, you explained it very well.
                I will copy and paste this in my notepad and follow what you wrote.
                Sometimes I forget what to do as I'm doing it, once I get used to it I will remember.
                It's now up to me to improve my hubs.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

There's a lot of great tips on here that I have yet to use. Google Suggest is pretty good though I'm still having a lot of trouble finding the perfect balance between original and search worthy titles.

5. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I have just been informed that Australia doesn't exist. It's all some kind of reality trick. Is that true?

Well as an Australian, it makes sense. I always thought I was in Narnia.

1. paradigm search profile image55
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ya made me look up "Narnia". And now I'm desperately trying to find a former hub of mine, Emerald City.

6. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Found it. An emotional piece it was. Never got traffic. Every title I came up with always had irrelevant associations that buried it. I'm going to post it at the infamous WWNN. The title? "Untitled". I kid you not. Sometimes ya just got to have fun.

7. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

For those who still think ranking #1 on Google is really important this photo will explain why it is not
    http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12694189.jpg

Larry Page and Sergey Brin seem like cool and nice guys!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)