jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How much difference can a story in the news make to your views?

1. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 months ago

As a few people know I write a fair bit about Saudi Arabia as I worked there for a few years with my wife.

In the past couple of days there has been a story about a 74yr old UK guy arrested for possession of alcohol and then sentenced to 350 lashes and imprisonment..

The effect of this story with NO links to my content is an increase of over 10,000 views in the space of 24hrs... Not just on HP but on my specific site for Saudi which has seen the majority of the increase.

I have also been contacted for interviews by news sites, radio stations, and even TV just because they can find my website and pages easily.

So for those of you that are feeling that you are not getting views just keep plodding on your day will come....... Keep setting yourself up as an expert in the field in which you write and eventually you never know what might happen.

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 12 months ago in reply to this

Good news, and encouraging. Although, that is terrible what is happening to the man from the UK. However, good to know it is getting media attention.

I do have a few articles that get a bit of traffic when certain things hit the media. Nothing on the scale that you're talking about, but good nonetheless.

And this does give a writer hope for a possible future surprise.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 months ago in reply to this

Glad to hear you had something good happen, despite the fact that it was based on serious political issues.

I have always felt that news items can bring positive effects to posts if those posts are timely and related to the news event.

It will never happen to me, however, because my niche wouldn't allow for it...sigh.

Anyhow, good for you!

3. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Awesome!! And, Sad . . . my heart goes out to that gentleman.

Thank you for sharing delight with great news bringing encouragement. Even though I have years of experience here, I do struggle while seeking greater views. There is opportunity learning from your experience firstly to have patience, always keep learning, and allow fate - kismet - karma to unfold. And, be thankful while sharing gratitude.

Once again . . . Awesome and congratulations :-)

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 12 months ago

Well done! That's how I've got most of my viral Hubpages content - although I usually write a hub as soon as a topic starts trending (before any of the bigger sites do).

Setting yourself up as an authority is a good way to get seen and make a name for yourself. Another good reason to use a "real" name or a "catchy" brandname instead of keywords in your names. Brand yourself and get known in your niche!

3. suraj punjabi profile image89
    suraj punjabiposted 12 months ago

wow! first of congrats for the skyrocketing views you are experiencing on your hub and your site. I find this to be very informative. Might just make use of this and see what happens. Thank you and congrats once again.

4. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 12 months ago

Sooo cool, happy for you. I pay attention to what's trending in the news and tweet relevant articles. Nothing viral yet but my views do increase when stories of shootings, tragedies, and losses are in the news. Congrats to you, LeanMan, on your recognition.

5. calculus-geometry profile image86
    calculus-geometryposted 12 months ago

Congrats on the well-deserved recognition!