jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)

Should I answer this email via Contact Us form on my site?

1. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 12 months ago

I recently received an email through my Contact Us form on one of my sites. The email states the sender comes from an up and coming site that needs writers and they are the leading such and such, etc. Wondering if it's a phishing scam. What do you all think?

Here's the body of the email:
    Need Writers

Hello Nathan,

Hope you are doing good

We are from the leading Integrated Digital Content & Technology

We are now looking for the online writers for our existing and up
    coming sites.

Let us know your interest of being a writer for our sites so that we
    can proceed further

Waiting to hear from you"

I did check the IP address and it comes from India, if that matters. Also, seems to come from a legitimate Internet service too.

1. UnnamedHarald profile image93
      UnnamedHaraldposted 12 months ago in reply to this

IMHO and judging solely from the content, grammar and punctuation, I myself would not reply. I would immediately delete it.

1. calculus-geometry profile image85
        calculus-geometryposted 12 months ago in reply to this

I've received similar emails and never bothered replying.  Perhaps in doing so I have missed a fantastic opportunity to earn millions  writing for the leading Indian content site, but I can live with that.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 months ago in reply to this

Sounds like a scam to me mainly because the company does not name itself and the grammar used is somewhat incorrect.  I'm thinking they would want your personal information if you apply, but you don't really know who they are.  I'd delete it.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 months ago

I received an almost identical email repeatedly from different people about three weeks ago, including contacts on LinkedIn. I replied to one of them via email, and learned that the person wanted free (unpaid) articles written for him and his sites and he would give no information about his sites.

I always look for a good phone number and a real street address that is not a UPS Store post office box storefront - I have a lot of stories about that.

Best success to you!

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 months ago

Hi Nate.  Sadly, it is extremely unlikely that you or I or anyone on the internet will ever be contacted with a genuine offer.  They appeal to our self sense of worth.  We want to believe we were chosen ones and that gives them a possible hook into us.

You know the facts about internet writing.  The games, the income to be expected.

How is it possible that anyone can provide any sort of deal that generates more income?

It isn't.

Just my opinion.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 months ago

Yeah, I've gotten a few of those generic "offer" e-mails as well. I don't even bother to respond.

5. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 12 months ago

Thanks everyone, very helpful; and just as I suspected. Doesn't look legitimate, won't respond to it.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 12 months ago in reply to this

I had a similar email two days ago on my own website, think it is a scam and did not bother to reply.

NateB11posted 12 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Sally. This is actually reassuring, I can see it's most likely a scam and don't have to bother with it.

1. Jean Bakula profile image95
          Jean Bakulaposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Hi Nate,
          I have received "offers" like that a few times as well. Some of them seem shady. One of them was real, a metaphysical site asked me to write one article a week for a magazine, and offered to pay me $10.00 for each piece I wrote. They wanted me to write about the Moon in different astrology signs, and that's the type of thing I write. It seemed legitimate, but I was having personal issues at the time and said no. But now I wish I said yes, it would have given me more exposure.

I suppose you need to read each offer carefully and judge each one individually. You probably did the right thing, it's best to be cautious. If anyone is seriously interested in you, they will contact you again, and give you more information. The people that were sincere in my case contacted me several times, and I believe it was through Linked In. I also once got an offer to write poetry, because I had published a tarot poetry book, but when I answered they never got back to me. So it can be hard to tell if it's real or not.

That's very helpful Jean. That makes sense that they'd contact me again if they really wanted me to write for them. The email is very generic and not well-written. Seems like it'd be way more specific, if it were legitimate, in some way or another.

6. ChristinS profile image93
    ChristinSposted 12 months ago

I have had a couple of offers before and the legitimate offers will be specific and personal. They will tell you exactly why they chose you, specifically what they are wanting and tell you who they represent and then ask you to contact them (and usually give a phone number). 

Scammers have a tendency to pay compliments but are never specific.  I see this a lot on blogs and even hub comments for example.  You know the ones where all they say is "gee, great post I love it so much" and then leave a link - ha. 

Anything that is as "generic" as that request is likely a phishing scam of some sort and I would ignore it. If a legit company is looking for writers then they would know how to send a proper offer.  Chances are this is someone stroking egos who wants to repost your work or get you to write for nothing or they are up to other nonsense of some sort.

That totally makes sense and clears it up for me; like I said to Jean above, it does seem like the email should have been more specific.

I know what you mean about the compliments; I actually get a lot of those in comments on my site, and it's always so weird, contrived and generic. Obviously something scammy.

7. adevwriting profile image80
    adevwritingposted 12 months ago

You wouldn't need offers from others, when you're a good writer in your own way:-), right? Nate

8. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 12 months ago

I received an identical email - it's spam.

When you receive genuine offers, they'll identify the reason they are contacting you and what they're looking for in a writer. That usually means they've identified you based on your niche and they'll be related to that niche.

Thanks, Susannah. That makes sense and clears it up, this seems to be the consensus; that a genuine offer will be very specific.

9. Gloriousconfusion profile image85
    Gloriousconfusionposted 12 months ago

Anyone who writes such a sloppy letter, and hopes you are "good" rather than "well" etc. etc. is not a very good representative for a leading firm - would you want someone like that writing letters on your behalf?  I don't think so. 

Even if it is not a scam (and I believe it probably is), I personally wouldn't want to work for a business whose employees or representatives are so careless about the bad impression they are displaying....and we all know that first impressions count. roll

10. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 months ago

Hey, I just got this job offer e-mail... sounds totally legit! What do you say, should I respond? big_smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Twenty-two pounds is about one kilo-- wonder what they are shipping.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
        FatFreddysCatposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Well, they are "Florida established" - gee, I wonder what it could beeeee? Hmmmm (strokes chin thoughtfully)....