jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

HubPages need Google Street Maps

1. Will Apse profile image92
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Can we please have a way to embed Google Street maps? Think of the hubs that can be made for travel, history, eating out getting to places etc etc that would benefit from Street Maps.

1. JamaGenee profile image86
      JamaGeneeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

If someone is interested enough to visit a place on vacation or a research trip, or locate a restaurant, they'll google for directions.  Or if they're looking to buy a pool or a spa.

If they *aren't* interested, having an embedded Google Street map is pointless.

Will Apseposted 8 years ago in reply to this

HubParchments resist the introduction of the fountain pen.

2. packerpack profile image60
      packerpackposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Sounds cool but using it in our Hubs will be very difficult and confusing to many here. However on can show screen shots of Google map, I know it is far from what you have suggested but at least this could be done so long Google maps aren't around.

I take your point but this is a competetive business. If I can offer a 3D view of Trafalgar Square on a travel hub about Trafalgar Square it would give me a definite edge over those who couldn't. Also, I wouldn't have to struggle to find images that were not subject to copyright.

1. packerpack profile image60

You are absolutely correct but I see two problems, one major and one minor.

Major problem will be the complexity of its use. Not all are technical people here. It is not just embedding the map but also allowing users to put markers and use other Google map features.

Minor problem will be be the page loading time. Since Hubs will have Google maps so it will take extra time to load and more over there are at times when Google map are not allowed by some browsers or browser settings. So in that case the whole meaning of the Hub will be lost.

People who are not technically-minded will be unaffected. People willing to learn can benefit. Lets face it, a lot of people can't use a toaster but banning toasters won't help them or anyone else.

1. packerpack profile image60

Come-on Will, I do understand that it is important feature but that does not mean we should just go with it without thinking about it's impact. Hubpages is a global platform and everyone has a say that has to be considered by people at Hubpages. They just can't go about it like a dictator; take it or leave it we don't care! I just wanted to point some of the difficulties if this feature is brought up.

2. mohamedhmm profile image60
    mohamedhmmposted 8 years ago

i do not think we need google for that...

working