jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Hub Statistics: Bing vs Google

1. makingamark profile image72
    makingamarkposted 17 months ago

Two questions:

1) Which do you find most useful for monitoring the traffic to and ranking of your individual hubs?  Google or Bings?  (I'm a convert to Bing!)

2) Anybody got any ideas how we retain this value when we lose our sub-domains which generate all the stats at present

(Note: When I say generate - I mean at present we only have to add just one sub-domain to Bing or Google and we automatically get all our hubs analysed without having to do anything more. If we lost the funtionality of having just one URL to add to Bing or Google that will be a massive MINUS to the plan for changes to the sub-domains so far as I am concerned)

2. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 17 months ago

With 80% of searches still going through Google it is vital that we look to Google first if we are looking for traffic... Why ignore the bulk of the traffic and aim for just the 20% of searches that go through bing, yahoo, and all of the other search engines put together.

We used to get all of this data before we went to subdomains so we will still get all of the same data on our accounts...

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 17 months ago in reply to this

If I remember correctly we had full use of analytics but not WMT.

1. janderson99 profile image87
        janderson99posted 17 months ago in reply to this

Google Analytics requires a domain/URL - which is currently our profile URL (subdomain). I'm not sure how this will work when subdomains are sunk. Perhaps we will be able to use hubpages(dot)com./profiles/[username] if this is to become our replacement profile. NONE of this is certain!
        Replies from HP about this have also hit an iceberg.

1. Susana S profile image91
          Susana Sposted 17 months ago in reply to this

We used our profile url I believe. Long time ago now so I can't be 100% sure how GA was set up, only that it definitely was.

2. lobobrandon profile image82
          lobobrandonposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Webmaster Tools/ Google Console needs a domain to work. Analytics you get a code to place on your pages. You can place it on any page of any website, when triggered it will give you a hit. So all HP needs to do is place your code on the relevant page which they will do. The thing we need to look into is Webmaster Tools. Analytics should not be a problem.

makingamarkposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Eaxctly - "search analytics" in Webmaster tools is what gives you the search queries

Or "search keywords" in Bing webmaster reports

I'm thinking of pulling off downloads for all the key sites before the data disappears

1. lobobrandon profile image82

Yup you should do that. I know it's important. But having the stats with some traffic is definitely not better than playing in the dark and doing well. Playing blind is horrible, but let's see what can be done. Paul did say he has a way.

Well it's certainly the case that I have no problem getting traffic for my content once I move it off HubPages and on to my own sites. It's typically tripled if not quadrupled!

So there's got to be some scope for HubPages to do better than it is at present.

1. lobobrandon profile image82

If I were you I'd download the data from Webmaster Tools and postpone plans on moving hubs till the change is done. Wait 2 weeks after the change and see how your hubs perform. The auto section is doing pretty well so far. It's already more than a year, a few more weeks is definitely worth the wait.

2. makingamark profile image72

Have you actually compared the data generated by the two systems? Or are you just going with Google on the basis it dominates search.

3. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 17 months ago

Google.

working