Do the new changes affect Google Analytics?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Zoenchiiposted 8 years ago

I have noticed my views taking a real downfall in just 2 days. Is this because the changes? Do I need to change my Google Analytics tracking ID?

2. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

If you haven't done so already, just tell Analytics to track HubPages.com as opposed to a particular subdomain. That way, Analytics will see your ID no matter where HP puts it. smile

1. profile image0
      Zoenchiiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Does this mean I have to create a new tracking ID? It doesn't make sense though to track hubpages.com :S

2. SheilaMilne profile image91
      SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We have a tracking code in our accounts.  Is that not sufficient to track our hubs whether in a sub-domain or not?

3. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you have to make any changes as the GA ID is the key and this has not changed. 'Property' is just a name or label.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wish I had the same luck as you. Do you have your AdSense linked to your GA?  I used to have them linked in order to provide additional tracking information. But today the link seems to be broken. It should recognize the fact that my Analytics ID is in the HTML of the pages. Something is not right.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
        Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

janderson99 is correct. Google Analytics will still work because the tracking id on your pages did not change. It is a good idea to change your property name in analytics to 'hubpages.com' instead of 'subdomain.hubpages.com' so that it's accurate.

Marina, I'm a little concerned about one small detail that maybe you can help with.

My GA is working fine and reporting traffic perfectly after the change. But just to be sure everything was neat and clean, a few days ago I adjusted my GA Property Settings as follows:

I changed the "Property Name" to hubpages.com

I also changed the "Default URL"  to hubpages.com

However, the "Default View" is stuck as glennstok.hubpages.com and I can't change that.

This doesn't seem to be a problem because, as I said, it's reporting fine. But I wonder if this may have some negative effect on data that I may not be aware of. 

Since I can't change the Default View, I tried adding "hubpages.com" as a new property. But it says I don't own it and can't add it to GA. I also tried adding "hubpages.com/@glennstok" - that was denied too.

So I'm leaving the existing property that has glennstok.hubpages.com as the Default View. As I said, it works anyway. But it may be working only because of the redirect.

I wonder if new Hubbers who try to add Google Analytics for the first time will be stuck, since they can't show ownership of the top domain.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
            Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just went through the GA set up with a dummy account and was able to add hubpages.com as the website URL. So, new Hubbers should have no trouble signing up for GA.

As for the Default View, to change it you need to click "Create new view" first, and add hubpages.com. This is done in the View panel (see screenshot). Once you've added a new view, you can select it from the drop-down menu on the Property Settings page. The default view shouldn't affect reporting since the tracking id is the same, but I can understand why you'd want to update it so that it no longer displays your old subdomain.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12725749.png

edit Sorry about the formatting of the screenshot.  I *think* you can see what I mean. Let me know if you'd like a better image!

I never noticed the  "Create new view" option. I was able to do it now with no problem. Your screenshot pointed me in the right direction. Thanks Marina. You're Wonderful!

3. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Yes it does affect our Google Analytics statistics

No - nobody has as yet told us what to do to ensure we get to retain the very useful data we have via Google Analytics and Google Webmaster tools

Some have suggested adding in hubs one by one. To me that seems like a really good way for using up an entire day for anybody with a lot of hubs! However I still don't understand how you verify your ownership now they have switched back to the main HubPages domain.

Anybody got any ideas re verification of ownership?

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I tried adding a new page as a Google Webmaster Tools (GSC) site. I verified it via the 'Use analytics option'. It worked OK, but I am not going to add 1300 new sites to WMT (there is a limit of 1000 anyway) and single page sites is just silly.

I don't think Google Analytics will be affected provided HP retains the individual ID for authors.

A Page source view confirms that a new page, indexed after the changes, has the same GA entry with my ID, as applied previously. So GA is OK.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Actually its really fast to copy all the hub URLs into AdSense no matter how many hubs you have. Just click the "export csv" link in your stats page and then open the saved Excel file, highlight and copy all the URLs,  and paste them into your URL list in AdSense.

You can find where to paste the URLs by going to "MyAds > URL Channels" and then click "+ New URL Channel" - AdSense lets you add up to 500 hubs.

Analytics is another issue that I haven't worked out yet. It seems to be missing hits today.

1. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nobody is talking about AdSense in this thread except you.

Did you post to the wrong thread?

You're right. Wrong thread. My bad.

3. profile image0
      Zoenchiiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The ownership is exactly what concerns me, as long as they do not accept the: hubpages.com/@zoenchii url structure... hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)