jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)

Do the new changes affect Google Analytics?

1. Zoenchii profile image80
    Zoenchiiposted 21 months ago

I have noticed my views taking a real downfall in just 2 days. Is this because the changes? Do I need to change my Google Analytics tracking ID?

2. paradigm search profile image61
    paradigm searchposted 21 months ago

If you haven't done so already, just tell Analytics to track HubPages.com as opposed to a particular subdomain. That way, Analytics will see your ID no matter where HP puts it. smile

1. Zoenchii profile image80
      Zoenchiiposted 21 months ago in reply to this

Does this mean I have to create a new tracking ID? It doesn't make sense though to track hubpages.com :S

2. SheilaMilne profile image89
      SheilaMilneposted 20 months ago in reply to this

We have a tracking code in our accounts.  Is that not sufficient to track our hubs whether in a sub-domain or not?

3. janderson99 profile image87
      janderson99posted 20 months ago in reply to this

I don't think you have to make any changes as the GA ID is the key and this has not changed. 'Property' is just a name or label.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I wish I had the same luck as you. Do you have your AdSense linked to your GA?  I used to have them linked in order to provide additional tracking information. But today the link seems to be broken. It should recognize the fact that my Analytics ID is in the HTML of the pages. Something is not right.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
        Marina Lazarevicposted 20 months ago in reply to this

janderson99 is correct. Google Analytics will still work because the tracking id on your pages did not change. It is a good idea to change your property name in analytics to 'hubpages.com' instead of 'subdomain.hubpages.com' so that it's accurate.

Marina, I'm a little concerned about one small detail that maybe you can help with.

My GA is working fine and reporting traffic perfectly after the change. But just to be sure everything was neat and clean, a few days ago I adjusted my GA Property Settings as follows:

I changed the "Property Name" to hubpages.com

I also changed the "Default URL"  to hubpages.com

However, the "Default View" is stuck as glennstok.hubpages.com and I can't change that.

This doesn't seem to be a problem because, as I said, it's reporting fine. But I wonder if this may have some negative effect on data that I may not be aware of. 

Since I can't change the Default View, I tried adding "hubpages.com" as a new property. But it says I don't own it and can't add it to GA. I also tried adding "hubpages.com/@glennstok" - that was denied too.

So I'm leaving the existing property that has glennstok.hubpages.com as the Default View. As I said, it works anyway. But it may be working only because of the redirect.

I wonder if new Hubbers who try to add Google Analytics for the first time will be stuck, since they can't show ownership of the top domain.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
            Marina Lazarevicposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I just went through the GA set up with a dummy account and was able to add hubpages.com as the website URL. So, new Hubbers should have no trouble signing up for GA.

As for the Default View, to change it you need to click "Create new view" first, and add hubpages.com. This is done in the View panel (see screenshot). Once you've added a new view, you can select it from the drop-down menu on the Property Settings page. The default view shouldn't affect reporting since the tracking id is the same, but I can understand why you'd want to update it so that it no longer displays your old subdomain.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12725749.png

edit Sorry about the formatting of the screenshot.  I *think* you can see what I mean. Let me know if you'd like a better image!

I never noticed the  "Create new view" option. I was able to do it now with no problem. Your screenshot pointed me in the right direction. Thanks Marina. You're Wonderful!

3. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 20 months ago

Yes it does affect our Google Analytics statistics

No - nobody has as yet told us what to do to ensure we get to retain the very useful data we have via Google Analytics and Google Webmaster tools

Some have suggested adding in hubs one by one. To me that seems like a really good way for using up an entire day for anybody with a lot of hubs! However I still don't understand how you verify your ownership now they have switched back to the main HubPages domain.

Anybody got any ideas re verification of ownership?

1. janderson99 profile image87
      janderson99posted 20 months ago in reply to this

I tried adding a new page as a Google Webmaster Tools (GSC) site. I verified it via the 'Use analytics option'. It worked OK, but I am not going to add 1300 new sites to WMT (there is a limit of 1000 anyway) and single page sites is just silly.

I don't think Google Analytics will be affected provided HP retains the individual ID for authors.

A Page source view confirms that a new page, indexed after the changes, has the same GA entry with my ID, as applied previously. So GA is OK.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Actually its really fast to copy all the hub URLs into AdSense no matter how many hubs you have. Just click the "export csv" link in your stats page and then open the saved Excel file, highlight and copy all the URLs,  and paste them into your URL list in AdSense.

You can find where to paste the URLs by going to "MyAds > URL Channels" and then click "+ New URL Channel" - AdSense lets you add up to 500 hubs.

Analytics is another issue that I haven't worked out yet. It seems to be missing hits today.

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Nobody is talking about AdSense in this thread except you.

Did you post to the wrong thread?

You're right. Wrong thread. My bad.

3. Zoenchii profile image80
      Zoenchiiposted 20 months ago in reply to this

The ownership is exactly what concerns me, as long as they do not accept the: hubpages.com/@zoenchii url structure... hmm

working