jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

One fo the hardest things to go through

1. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 7 years ago

This past week I was at a funeral for a good friend of mine. Even thought I did not know his gradnpa it broke my heart to see him mourn over the death of this Grandfather so much. They were very close and I dont think I have ever been so touched or delt with something like this in a long time.

1. 61
      gumba1posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think the one thing that is so hard about attending a funeral for a  non relative is that you don't know what to say, especially if you didn't really know the deceased. If it touched you that deeply, that shows how much caring and compassion you have in your heart for your friend. You are a good friend and you like this person, so you dont want to see them in such agony, and you wished there was something you could do to ease their pain, and unfortunately there really isnt much you can do, but give your support in comforting, caring ways. Just allowing your friend to talk you about his/her granpa, and tell stories about growing up, or whatever they need to talk about.

Death is such a complicated thing, and right when we think we understand it, or are ok with it something like this happens. Just continue to be a good friend, and your love and compassion will show.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I felt this way when I saw Teri Irwin so broken at Steve's memorial service in the bleachers at Crocoseum. It haunts me. It's never having a certain communication and connection again in the same way and likley not possible with anyone else. From the day she met him to his death it was 15 years nearly to the day and several lifetimes of joy packed tight and fast. Suddenly disconnected.

2. sassychic profile image61

Thanks! It was so hard to see him cry, I have never thought I would have to see him cry like he did.

3. sassychic profile image61

I definately agree with you on the disconnection I could definately see that in my friend which was the worse part about being there for him. Man it really hurt me internally