jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Send Floated Capsules Down Not Up

1. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 18 months ago

My last suggestion for weeks or months... Promise.

Capsules floated right are relocated up in mobile at present.

People read left to right and generally construct pages left to right. A right-floated capsule is almost always meant to be encountered after the text to the left of it.

I know people are being encouraged to get rid of floated capsules altogether (wisely) but thousands of pages still have them and in mobile they often look a confused mess.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I think, if it is a photo or video capsule that is floated right and thereby appears above the text capsule on mobile views, then it is okay. But text capsules floated right should always go below and should not be placed above the original left capsule. It will mar the entire presentation of the article.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 18 months ago

YES! YES! YES!

I created a thread making the same suggestion months ago.

Whether it's text, a photo or an Amazon ad - if a capsule is floated right, it's because it refers to the text on the left, and you need to read the text on the left first.   So when that capsule floats ABOVE that text, it doesn't make sense.

I assume that floating up was an easy fix whereas floating below would require more programming, and that's why they haven't done it.  It's a great pity because there are hundreds of Hubs that would look far, far, far better if they made that simple change.

Marissa, i hope that if it is an image or video, viewing it first may not be so much embarrassing or confusing. Because, viewing the photo or video can make it more easy to understand the relevant text. The problem arises only when it is a text capsule that is right floated. Right floated text is usually a more descriptive information or clarification of the left side text. So, it should not be read first.

3. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 18 months ago

It might be that HP looked at all those pages with images floated right at the top of the page and decided 'up' was better. Pages should ideally start with an image.

In almost every other situation down is better. Polls, quizzes, videos, maps, tables and Amazon ads need to be introduced in the text.

Poor and unexpected placement of Amazon ads looks especially bad and very spammy.

Surely the whole 'float right' thing should be retired as soon as possible?

I agree. If it is not feasible on mobile apps, then it should be entirely removed.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image88
    Millionaire Tipsposted 18 months ago

I agree with you.  My hubs would definitely look better with the floated capsules below instead of above the capsule it is with.  All of them - video, image, text, or Amazon.  My intention was for the reader to read my words and then look at whatever is on the right.

working