jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Do Nigerian Lives Matter?: The Alleged Uneven Cover

1. Skyler Saunders profile image80
    Skyler Saundersposted 11 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Do Nigerian Lives Matter?: The Alleged Uneven Coverage of Terror. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Hi Skyler,

Without reading the content, all I can suggest is that you pay attention to advice given to you previously about the layout of your hubs.

It seems that you are posting hubs as if they are blog posts. HubPages isn't for blogs, it's for magazine-style articles that will stand the test of time. Your articles are based on current news reports, therefore, they are not 'evergreen'.

This link will help you - incorporate some of the suggestions into your work.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

Skyler Saundersposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Technically, isn't HubPages just a weblog or blog? Don't magazines base their subjects on current news reports?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 months ago in reply to this

I posted a long reply earlier but it seems to have disappeared!

No, HubPages is not technically a blog.   There is one dictionary which defines blogging as ANY online writing, but it's the exception.   A blog was originally a diary website, with posts added sequentially reflecting the day's events.  It has developed into a site which can be about any subject, but it is still typically owned by one person (or small group) with frequent short posts.

HubPages is not such a site.  It is a large article-writing site.  Although you have your own account, it is not like Blogger or Wordpress, where you have your own blog totally separate from all other blogs on the site.   You can see all your Hubs together on your profile, but readers don't usually look at profiles - they just see your Hubs jumbled up with all the other Hubs on the site. 

As for blogs writing on news items - do you know of any which do that successfully, and get traffic?   It's extremely tough to get readership for news because the competition is just too great - you are up against ALL the major news sites, newspapers, Huffington Post, etc etc.  They are always going to dominate the whole first page of the search engine results.    So although you'll get other Hubbers reading your news Hubs, you're unlikely to get much search engine traffic and therefore unlikely to make any income.

2. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 11 months ago in reply to this

As usual, it is well-written with good logical arguments. However, it is correct that HP expects magazine style web articles, with images, other media and a certain amount of text. I'm not certain you need more text. Maybe just break it up a bit with images, and use separate titled text capsules to break it up too. You'll have to do some copying and pasting to add text from the one capsule you have to some new ones. I think some relatively minor tweaks like that could put it over the top to pass QAP.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 11 months ago in reply to this

I did read your hub. I think you make some great points, but it seems a little hard to digest. Breaking the text up into more paragraphs would make it seem less intimidating to read.

Perhaps you could outline some of the things that set the two groups Boko Haram and ISIS, and the two attacks apart, and what they have in common. Honestly, not a lot of attention has been paid to the attack in Nigeria by the American media, so a lot of people may not know much about it.

I hate to recommend dumbing down, but you do need to use a voice that is on the same level with your audience. You cannot assume that everybody knows everything you know.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 months ago

It's well written but it seems rather short (HP recommends at least 1000 words) and there are no photos or other graphics.

Skyler Saundersposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Thank you.  But all of my writings (including over 40 that have been Featured) lack photographs or graphics. And most are under 1000 words.  What gives?