jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Photos of paintings

1. Audreygallas profile image81
    Audreygallasposted 11 months ago

This is probably a Hub Pages 101 question but for someone that is very new to this whole arena, I've got to ask.  If you want to use a photo (image) that is of a painting, do you attribute to the person that took the photo of the painting or the person that painted the painting or both?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image88
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 months ago in reply to this

I would do both.  The painting because it is what the photo is about, but also the photographer, as a thanks for taking the photo.  Be sure you use images you have permission to use.

Here's what HubPages says about images:

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
      Phyllis Doyleposted 11 months ago in reply to this

I agree with MT. I use both the artist name (usually in the photo caption, like name of painting by artist) and the author of the image. Just make cure the image is Public Domain or Creative Commons.

3. oceansnsunsets profile image88
      oceansnsunsetsposted 11 months ago in reply to this

I think this is a great question, and I am glad people ask questions like this.  It helps all to learn and fine tune what we know, etc. 

If I use pictures from Wikimedia Commons, they make it easy to attribute by using the links on the page, and you can quickly see if it is within the time limit of years, for example.  I often see the painting's date, and if its oil on panel, or whatever.  Once you get used to using different sites and how they allow you to use the images, it becomes easier and easier I think.

4. Solaras profile image93
      Solarasposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Good for you for asking!

2. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 11 months ago

You don't use either if the image is within copyright.

How old is the image and has the artist died more than 70 years ago?

I find it easiest to use Wikimedia Commons Images - although you do need to read what it says