Copyright infringement-- I don't know what to do.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. WiccanSage profile image90
    WiccanSageposted 8 years ago

I have a problem. Encyclopedial.com has reprinted about a dozen of my articles, word for word, with no credit to me and without permission, and just keeps scooping more out of my hubpages.

I cannot find anything on the website about who to contact, or the company that owns it.

So I went to one of those sites to find out who hosts it. It said OVH Hosting. So I tried to get in touch with OVH Hosting. Nothing, no responses.

I filed a DMCA with Google. I got the response:

"Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Upon recent review of the following URL(s), we were unable to locate the content in question:

(all the urls I provided were listed here)

If this matter is still a concern, please reply to this email with detailed information to enable us to locate the content and we will further investigate your request.

Regards,
    The Google Team"

I wrote back saying I did not understand because when I clicked on the content opened. But they did not respond. What does this mean? Does this mean they can't find the articles when they click on the link? Why not?

I'm not very savvy about these things and I am at a total loss... and what's worse, this website just keeps plucking from my hubs and publishing more every week. I don't know what to do.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
    ~Sage

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The first thing to do would be to post some of the links here, they may have something that limited their use.  Or unless you checked again recently, the content may have moved.

2. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I notice they've copied at least one of my hubs too, so the chances are that they've ripped off other hubbers' work.

3. alexadry profile image95
      alexadryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They have a Facebook page. Lately, when I contact copyright infringers on Facebook, they are very quick in getting content removed.I tell them they either remove the content, pay me a flat fee for usage of article (I inflate my prices 10 times more so nobody accepts that) or use only the first 50 words of the article with a link back to the article --nobody likes that either) I think they fear being reported on a social page more than other venues, so response rates have been quite high this way. Just my two cents..

Edited to add: they are after hubpages.
      http://encyclopedial.com/2015/10/01/int … 0-caliber/
      http://encyclopedial.com/2015/10/17/hub … -articles/
      http://encyclopedial.com/2015/11/17/hub … -and-more/
      Looks like 99 percent of the website is copied from Hubpages.

4. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I filed several takedown requests with Google and most of them were honored.  Here is the URL to do that.  You can't just send them a letter, you have to fill out their form.  Go too this URL:  https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2807622?hl=en

Click on "Submit a copywriter complaint" which is in a red block in the middle of the page.  Then click on the circle second from the bottom on the following page.  Copyright infringement, etc.

From that point 'it' will guide you through the steps.  List only one website on each complaint.  All additional websites listed after the first one will be ignored, so save yourself some frustration and just send a separate complaint for every website that is offending.

The above is for Google only, but they are the biggest search engine and usually cooperative in a situation like this.

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Persevere. Keep reminding Google, send another DMCA if necessary. Contact the website hosts again. Repeat until you get satisfaction. Hope you get a positive result. It took me three attempts and about 5 emails (to an actual contactable person!) before I saw a result.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

Google has given me that same response....

4. WiccanSage profile image90
  5. WiccanSage profile image90

I also had a hard time finding out any hosting information but just found this:
    http://whois.domaintools.com/encyclopedial.com

Unfortunately, it's mostly Greek to me... I don't understand most of this stuff.

Anyone care to translate if you can? I will send you a box of cookies if you can help me understand it, thanks so much.

1. The Dirt Farmer profile image90
      The Dirt Farmerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I've tried submitting complaints to websites and their hosts who've copied my hubs and never received a response. Not surprising really. It's not as if what they're doing is unknown to those involved, as usually all of the copy is copied. Now, I don't bother trying but immediately file a report through Google. Like you, I've sometimes gotten a weird response from Google. In those cases, I had not followed the directions for submitting the complaint correctly. It can be confusing! I hope you try again. These "encyclopedia" sites are a real problem. At least a couple of them with that word in the url were taken down this past year, and they'd copied lots of hubs from all of us. Good luck! And Happy Thanksgiving. --Jill

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, click on the link you've given which takes you to whois and scroll down the raw registry data until you get to an email address that starts with abuse-contact@.....
      Send an email with a possible threat to use legal action.
      If you get no response (likely I'm afraid) persist with the DMCA via Google.

3. psycheskinner profile image84

All you need is the two emails near the bottom, one is the webmaster and the other is the domain register. You take down notice needs to include certain declarations

identify the date and jurisdiction (your location).
      identify yourself and your website.
      identify the copyright violator.
      outline the copyright violations using searches, screenshots, and so forth.
      Demand removal of the offending material.
      Attest that you are the owner of the copyright

Send one to each address.  For Google I assume you want the site delisted, this is done here: https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/  Select "search", "legal issue not mentioned above" and "copyright"

6. Vagabond Laborer profile image65
    Vagabond Laborerposted 8 years ago

Hi Sage,

I wanted to say that I'm so sorry about what has happened to you.  You work really hard and have built up a good following only to have someone steal your work.

Do you think that the government can help?

What about talking to an attorney?

Good luck, and I'm sorry.

P.S. - Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, but what happened to you is wrong.

I send takedown notices out all the time, and if properly submitted I find they work most of the time.  No need to pay for expensive lawyers.  Even if the webmaster ignores it, getting dropped from Google is pretty automatic if you use the form I linked to, and that sure gets their attention.

7. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

It looks like this Encyclopedial.com site has copied hundreds of hubs from HP. There are loads of travel articles for example and many other categories chock a block with copied content. I'll be filling in the appropriate form and sending it off tonight.

1. eugbug profile image95

It would be nice to launch  a cyber attack against them (just for fun).

1. chef-de-jour profile image95
        chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this
        1. eugbug profile image95

Just filled out and filed a takedown notice. Its a pain having to do this all the time.

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In which case, the HubPage staff should deal with these people. When it's individual hubs that have been stolen, then yes, it's up to us. When it's a substantial portion of HP itself, then HP must take action. I think they've done it before so they can do it again.

1. alexadry profile image95

I agree, when it's just an article or two, the loss is just to us individual hubbers, but when they copy a whole lot it should be dealt with by Hubpages. I wish to see more participation. They are even using the Hubpages logo and internal stuff like interviews to hubbers etc.!

8. WiccanSage profile image90

Thanks everyone for so much help! I appreciate the support, Hubpages writers are the best.

Psycheskinner especially, thank you for the detailed instructions. I will take care of that right away.

Hopefully a collective outcry against the same website will get some attention.

With much appreciation,
    Sage

9. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

Crooks.

DrMark61 they have at least one article of yours, maybe two.  This is just from rolling through their scroll, there maybe others. 
    Five best protection animals

Sondra: How to Treat Cat Abscess at Home
    Melissa A. Smith: 7 Exotic Pets That Have Easy Care
    Cynthia Calhoun: Hummingbirds: Facts, Symbolism, Meanings and More
    Adrienne Janet Farricelli: Why Dogs Sometimes Lick their Lips Excessively (they have at least 3 more of yours, probably more).

Thanks so much Solaras, will report.  They have many more, like 11 of them. Hopefully, if enough of us report, something will be done to give these thieves a lesson. Cheers!

10. WiccanSage profile image90

I think I found the hosting service abuse report website: abuse@ovh.net

I sent copyright violation warnings already but there has been no response. Apparently the guy is on Google+, but he's Russian and I can't understand any of his posts.

Alexandry, do you have his FB page?

Thanks for everyone helping with this; this creep seems to be liberally helping himself from Hubpages and it's very annoying.

Thanks!
    ~Sage

OK, I found the Facebook page, it's:
      https://www.facebook.com/newspaperpost/?fref=ts
      I contacted and got this response that I have a hard time deciphering:

"first thanks contacs with us some times our editors do thats ...we check all articles .artcles not sames we spinn allways but we prensp remove all you thinks your articles you think please next times first check plagarist programs and contack with us contackt  dont forget  if you pay dmca check copy articels for you."

Update: has removed some, but the titles and my dog's pictures are still up. Contacted to remove or pay me for the pictures.

Usual dumb lies and excuses.  Be persistent, at least you are getting a response.

Thanks, psycheskinner. I have heard that excuse so many times, they always blame their editors. The content is now gone and is giving me a 404 page not found. He still had the courage to scold me for contacting him on Facebook and gave me an email to contact him next time. I told him I really hope for you that there is no next time!

11. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 8 years ago

Yes, this is the Facebook page I found:
    https://www.facebook.com/encyclopediacom/?fref=nf
    I sent a private message, but they haven't answered that, but they replied to my message on their page and asked  for my email to get in touch.

Sorry, actually my bad. The website is encyclopedial.com, and this Facebook page is encyclopedia.com. I might have found a facebook page, but not sure yet and waiting confirmation.

12. profile image0
    Robilo2posted 8 years ago

the whois locator information :
    http://whois.domaintools.com/encyclopedial.com

The servers hosting this domain are located in Europe - point of contact has an address in France - Calais  - Nord-pas-de-calais - Roubaix - Ovh with a Static IP Address on the hosting servers.

This info cannot really help you as your complaint is specific to content, not the website domain itself.

You could sign up for their Blog and start complaining there - encyclopedial.com

13. mattforte profile image87
    mattforteposted 8 years ago

EncycolopeDial.com is hosted in France - so your DMCA's aren't going to do much. They don't need to honor them.

Insisting they remove them or "pay me" is just an empty threat and proves to them you really don't know what you're doing.
    The domain is also for sale for $350. They're just trying to make an easy buck. Contacting them (Through ANY medium) isn't going to do you any good, you're wasting your time.

Google catches on to sites like this after a short time, and puts them into the sandbox where it doesn't affect your site or your rankings.

Sometimes you can file DMCA's and get copied content removed, other times you need to just bite the bullet and accept that the only way they are going to harm you is by wasting your own time. I've had some of my content copied and posted to Encyclopedial.com for quite some time now.
    It hasn't affected my performance in any way.

Just move along.

I was actually able to have them remove all my content by contacting them via Facebook. It was quite easy and they took about 10 minutes. My fee strategy actually works well because I own a publishing company and they can verify that I charge a certain fee per word for my content and for use of my personal pictures. I don't threaten them, I give them simply 3 options. This is NOT my preferred route (would rather file with hosting company and just get done with it) but it's terribly confusing at times figuring out who it is. When this is not an option, I have found that contacting via social media is the fastest way to get a response and compliance and I tell them that I do so as a courtesy to give them an opportunity to get things fixed because I could go instead straight to DMCA route.Many are thankful for the opportunity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)