All hubbers unite!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. DasEngel profile image59
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

Let us change the game. Let us show the world who we are and what we have been doing. Have courage, my friends! No one is going to pay us as writers unless we show the people that they need our content and creations. Capture their imaginations and enslave them! Bring on the HubPages revolutions smile

DasEngel

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Got a plan, have you?

DasEngelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

YES! Enslave their popular imagination.

What is a 'popular imagination'? And, how would you enslave it?

What's the point in posting a rallying call if you haven't got a plan to take it forward? These posts are pointless and a waste of pixels unless you can suggest something helpful. I appreciate you want to start a discussion, but you have to be the one to start it off with a concrete idea.

OK, here we go: The cardinal point here is that we need to make people want our stuff, the stuff that we create here. So, we need to display our stuff first, and then make them know how it would be useful to them. It's that simple really.

On our HubPages homepage, and sign-in/sign up pages display two good hubs for every 7 days and display related little animations (those that are quick, pestering, and hard to ignore and escape) how these two hubs may benefit people and enrich their lives.

Spread this word on Google, make hubs about this concept, make fb pages etc.

Okay, but people don't visit HubPages as a site or a resource. They visit individual hubs that appear in search results. I bet there are very few people who say to themselves, "Oh I wonder what HubPages have published today?" The fact that your/my article is on a site called HubPages is irrelevant.

Displaying two hubs a week on the homepage isn't going to make the slightest difference because no-one visits the home page except us.

So, how would you make HP a place where the general public might want to hang out? The only way I can see is to write and maintain quality hubs that rank well in search engines. Which is what we keep saying.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
                Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

... and doing. No game to change here, just produce good work and you get paid. Frankly, I don't see the point of this thread.

2. DasEngel profile image59

Using our brains aren't we? OK, each HubPage (each hub) comprises relatively quite a small space, HP fills in the blank space that remains on our monitors with 'bogus' links to other hubs, then more related hubs, then ads etc.

I suggest we fill in that blank space with two good hubs for every 7 days and display related little animations (those that are quick, pestering, and hard to ignore and escape) how these two hubs may benefit people and enrich their lives.

DasEngel

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
                  Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I came to a page with a pestering animation, I would hit the back button quickly, without even reading the original article.

Then let's add a "skip this animation button"?

2. theraggededge profile image96

Me too. There's nothing worse than intrusion, especially when all you are trying to do is find information.

DasEngel is doing that thing he does so well - deciding that everyone else must come up with ideas to help him and his four hubs. You'd think he'd be working hard, building his portfolio and then worrying about traffic. Mind you, he also says he doesn't believe in writing for Google or earning from his work.

Btw, everyone have brains don't we. So why pressurize the good fellow who's raising a voice that may benefit everybody, while seemingly not using yours?

3. DasEngel profile image59

If people need our writings, content etc, we're on. Otherwise, we're gone.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
              Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think the point you made that we need to make people realize they need to read our hubs. Now we need to know how to convince them of that.

1. Sue Adams profile image96

It's called SEO and Promotion.

2. Sue Adams profile image96

People don't need your writings, content, least of all your daily exploits on the forum. Be gone!

1. Maffew James profile image93
                Maffew Jamesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. liasagustin profile image60
      liasagustinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are quite right. We need promotion and traffic. I do not think Hubpages or other business organization in the internet do it for us. So we will have to promote ourselves and get ourselves traffic. How can we achieve it? Perhaps the writers Hubpages community can help us.
      I leave open the issue.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12761169.jpg

3. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

This thread is nice in theory but yeah the public could care less about hubbers themselves. They search for answers to their simple and complex questions, so it's up to you to give them that.

I know I don't really care who the author is as long as the article is credible, intriguing, or answers what I'm looking for. The source is important though, which is why I'm happy Hubpages made huge shifts with the subdomains.

Bottom line is for you to produce high quality articles because it's the only way for you, the writer, to benefit and add further credibility to Hubpages.

I am a voter, personally. So I guess you too are. And we're both here. The point is we're public, and if we're so deeply engaged in this venue, I see no point why others won't (that is, the rest of the public). This place is run by people of flesh and blood. We aren't robots!

People join Facebook not because they were paid to join the site, but they join, out of their own necessity. And if Facebook really wanted that, they could easily exploit people out of that necessity. But they were clever and knew that if they did, they will soon have rival sites who would provide a similar service free of any charges.

How about making it obligatory that a reader who has landed on a hub (through Google) will have to sign-up to our site, before they may read any hubs here? Do it as a beta test or whatever. Just do it. Try anything. We all have brains enough, including the administration I suppose?

We could do that! We could call it... I dunno... "MySpace"?

You'll have to work out how to make HP be the article equivalent of Instagram.

Folks (2 folks I guess) who had launched Instagram, did.

4. DasEngel profile image59

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12761922.jpg

Oh do give it a rest, will you? They aren't funny, neither do they add to the discussion. It just makes people dislike you more.

Keep up the good work I suppose.

What did I say?

5. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

sigh...ok, well.. I guess I better take my page of printed papers and go back to taping them up in public bathrooms for my captive audience to have something to read while they are doing their business. ... then, back to standing in the middle of the intersection with a big sign that says "I'll write for food or money"-- they used to tell a person it pays to advertise. "Have a brand" etc.  I still haven't figured out how to control my ads in my page, so someone would have to explain how to 'use that blank space' for two good hubs...

I remember, a long time ago, writing a series of webpages that were all linked together. I called them the Silver Shoes. Kinda like Dorothy and her 'there's no place like home" shoes. Click them three times, etc.

Well. I thought it was clever. I even offered my pile of links to people so that they would have 'all their writers links' in one place. Well. I ended up helping the Freelance Writers Organization, International with their database... those are still online.

Anyways.. Keep thinking... DasEngel... you might just think of something that will 'put us on the map"...

Thanks! big_smile

6. UnnamedHarald profile image91
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

"How about making it obligatory that a reader who has landed on a hub (through Google) will have to sign-up to our site, before they may read any hubs here? Do it as a beta test or whatever. Just do it. Try anything. We all have brains enough, including the administration I suppose?"

I can guarantee that if everyone who came to a hub from a search result had to register and sign in, hub views would tank. To increase views, write more hubs and strive to write better hubs.

Is that a theory?

2. Sue Adams profile image96

Bad idea!
      If I have to sign in before reading an article, I immediately leave the sight. I don't want my email address distributed on hundreds of sites, then get all their promotional emails for the rest of my life, thank you very much.

You don't, if you need that article.

If Wikipedia implements something similar, chances are that people would sign up for it.

3. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Definitely.  There is no way forcing people to sign up to view is a good idea.  I have visited sites that tried this and just backed out and went on with my search elsewhere.  No one is going to take the time to do that and it's intrusive.

How about Facebook? They do 'force' the general public to sign-up to their site before they may access the site's full features.

1. ChristinS profile image39

Facebook and HubPages are not the same type of site - pretty obvious.

So we need to change our style.

1. ChristinS profile image39

No, we don't.

Good luck

7. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

A friend of mine has told me that should will not read my Hubs because she does not want the hassle of having to sign up to another site. I have told her before that you do not have to, as a family member reads my Hubs when I first post them, and she is not a member.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)