jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Let's do it like Facebook: Entice the general public, then leave it to

1. DasEngel profile image61
    DasEngelposted 20 months ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12764556_f520.jpg
    them whether they want to sign-up to our site (HubPages), or not. Well, take a look at this example of my facebook friend (I met him on Facebook itself) Jazz musician Eric Susoeff's facebook profile (look up).

I typed in his name on google search-box. Then followed the link and landed on Facebook. But Facebook is playing a little game there: It doesn't immediately let me access the site's full features; it offers me a free glimpse of Eric's profile though.

I suggest we implement something similar for HubPages. The point here is that people won't appreciate our value unless we we make them a bit uneasy and force their minds to evaluate. Had Facebook been giving free full access to everyone, without forcing them to sign up to their site first, we might have taken the site very lightly. We might be saying things like "Oh, why would I sign up there, I can get full access to it already" etc.

But as they did force the general public, they won almost half the game, and now they were free to play their other games on those new sign ups.

DasEngel

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 20 months ago in reply to this

And how about they also have to fill in two or three captchas for every page they click on, once they sign up.  I mean, what if these new users are actually just tricksy robots wearing nice wigs??   We can't be too careful.

DasEngelposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I've a solution for that. At the upper right corner for the feed, display something like this:

8:08 PM
        Friday, 27 November 2015 (PST)
        Time in Hemet, CA, USA

Can't be very sure about that one. I suggest HubPages do it based on IP.

2. littlething profile image83
      littlethingposted 20 months ago in reply to this

No, no, no. Hubpages and Facebook are two entirely different business models. Seriously, it will not work here. If I am looking for information on someone, I don't necessarily look at their facebook. They do have writing sites modeled something like you are suggesting. Most of them pay extremely well for writers. And most you need to be vetted, your portfolio gone over with a fine tooth comb, and even then you might not get in to be allowed to write. You might be thinking about trying to create a situation like with the king and the potatoes. Make the populace think it is valuable, and they will do anything to get it. Doesn't work on the internet. People can and will just go someplace else.  And frankly, making people uneasy about your values, and forcing them to evaluate is a surefire way to lose views. I don't need people reading my quick little computer articles feeling uneasy about my values, or even on my history hubs. Sorry, not going for it.

I see. You're correct. I just thought I should try all the options. We generally figure out what works, by first finding out what doesn't work, etc.

2. DasEngel profile image61

The content that HubPages offers are diverse and heterogeneous. Both a boon and a curse.

2. DasEngel profile image61
    DasEngelposted 20 months ago

I'll be using my brains big_smile

working