jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

If Too Many Links is Bad, why does HP Add 29 links to every page?

1. janderson99 profile image84
    janderson99posted 18 months ago

Have you noticed the new Recommended Hubs - powered by Google at the bottom of hubs. If you count all the related hubs added by HP, including these and those in the right column, the total count is 29!! Surely this is far too many and is likely to cause penalties to be imposed. The new Penguin update looms - surely this issue needs to be urgently addressed!

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 18 months ago in reply to this

The premise is wrong to start with. Having lots of links on a page isn't necessarily "bad." And internal links are good.

What is it that's really upsetting you?

1. janderson99 profile image84
        janderson99posted 18 months ago in reply to this

Many of the links are unrelated and cause problems lowering serp position and traffic.

2. DrMark1961 profile image92
        DrMark1961posted 18 months ago in reply to this

I have read many times (here at HP) that having many unrelated links lowers an articles position in the SERPS. (Many of the links that janderson is referring to are not related to the hub.) Do you think this is not true?

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 18 months ago in reply to this

He didn't say unrelated links in his first post, he just said links, so that's why I wasn't sure exactly what he was bothered about.

I guess I'm not really having this problem because often the related links on my hubs are just other math hubs written my moi.

Janderson99, can you post a link to a really egregious example of a hub with tons of unrelated sidebar and footer links?  I randomly picked this one from your account page

http://hubpages.com/business/TV-Ad-Bloc … al-Free-TV

and you're right, the links placed by HP are not very related to the topic.  That military diet hub is especially pernicious, it's at the bottom of half the hubs on this site, some of mine too.

working