jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

The first thing that comes to mind...

1. sagolia profile image86
    sagoliaposted 10 months ago

When I was in high school, my english teacher had us do this activity every morning. We would write for twenty minutes, non-stop. We could never at any point take the pen off the paper. That often times meant writing completely random, unconnected thoughts for twenty minutes. So write the first thing that comes to you mind when you read this or any comment left be anyone else!

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 months ago in reply to this

… you are asking us to keyboard random thoughts? whether happy or distraught? … freedom of fingers with no pen in hand? words bursting forth without a plan? freedom of thought, like a dove on a wire looking off at the horizon, perhaps flying into fire?
      My random thoughts are not so random, so, I should really bow out.
      I have already made many corrections. lol

2. galleryofgrace profile image80
      galleryofgraceposted 10 months ago in reply to this

I like your idea. Here's one that's  fun for anyone using   Dragon Naturally Speaking. I leave it on and let it record surrounding sounds for a couple paragraphs..Even leave  the TV on. Then try to turn those paragraphs into a story that makes sense.
      Can be quite a challenge!

2. ChristinS profile image93
    ChristinSposted 10 months ago

This is a practice called "free writing" and it's used in many classes to promote creativity and to quell the inner critic long enough for creativity to really get flowing.  In ours; you were not allowed to make any corrections or anything at all and had to write for the full time. 

It seems counter-intuitive to a lot of people to not critique and correct as you write; but it actually does make you a better writer when you do this regularly.

1. sagolia profile image86
      sagoliaposted 10 months ago in reply to this

It was definitely a good exercise! We were also not allowed to make corrections, be it grammer or spelling. I can say that it definitely makes you very aware of your train of thought.

3. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 10 months ago

I remember one instance at school where we were assigned to write a poem for homework and I had forgotten to do it. As soon as the English class began I started to quickly write a poem of just random thoughts that didn't really make any sense. I was shocked when the teacher chose me to read out the poem I had done for homework as I was still finishing it off. To my surprise the teacher was so impressed and said it was the best poem she had ever read from any of her students and pinned it to the board for all to read. It would have taken me only around five minutes to complete. I have no recollection now of what it even was about.

4. ddsurfsca profile image75
    ddsurfscaposted 10 months ago

Writing should be fun or maybe you shouldnt be doing it.  I know that if I stopped writing I would not be a happy camper...sometimes my writing starts off with a list of things I need from the store, or things  that I want to do and if i do not write them down i wont remember that I wanted to do them.
    sometimes writing things down is a way for me to vent and then I tear it up or burn it before anyone else sees it.  or sometimes it is a way I communicate with someone who wont listen to the spoken word. 
    nothing like finding a note on your pillow that says, " if I have to pick up your crap one more time, this will be the last note you get on your pillow.
    or " dont forget to feed the cat or we wont have to worry about feeding the bird."