jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Hawai'i and Native Hawaiians - What You May Not Kno

1. Hawaiian Scribe profile image91
    Hawaiian Scribeposted 10 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Hawai'i and Native Hawaiians - What You May Not Know. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

I only have 2 items for sale in the hub - both are books on Amazon that are directly relevant to what is in my hub. That doesn't seem excessive.

This hub has over 200,000 views already but I'm hardly getting any views since HubPages took it off as a featured hub.

An editor at HubPages chose the hub to be edited, then went ahead and made changes. I accepted some of the edits, but changed some items because she had changed factual information and took out the Amazon capsules that I had in the hub. I put the capsules back in.

So now the hub is not featured and stalling in cyberspace without any readers.

I'd appreciate any feedback. I hope editors at Hubpages read this forum!

1. theraggededge profile image93
      theraggededgeposted 10 months ago in reply to this

Ridiculous that such a good hub has been held up in QAP.

Make sure the images are copyright free. Take out one Amazon capsule and see what happens.

Maybe someone else will have better suggestions.

Personally, I wouldn't accept any 'improvements' on an established hub that gets plenty of traffic.

1. Will Apse profile image90
        Will Apseposted 10 months ago in reply to this

Hard to disagree. Do the editors have any idea of the stats for a hub? Are they editing pages that have good dwell times, high traffic and decent amazon sales to the same formula they apply to pages that will never get anywhere?

p.s. I reckon its the links to other hubs that are the problem. HP have never explained that policy.

A few years back they were encouraging people to litter their pages with internal links to improve SEO (translate that 'as game the search engines') now even pretty useful links are a big no no. Wonder if they got a Google slap somewhere along the line?

2. DrMark1961 profile image92
      DrMark1961posted 10 months ago in reply to this

What changes were made with the editing process? You mentioned the Amazon capsules, and if you have not made any sales on them, despite the high number of page veiws, it is better to just get rid of them.
      Are all of those links at the bottom of the page added by HP editing or did you add those after? That may or may not be a problem with them.
      Well presented information, and it was definitely worth reading.

2. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 10 months ago

I am outraged on your behalf that an editor had the temerity to change factual information in an article written by someone who is obviously an authority on the subject, when the editor most likely knows nothing about it whatsoever!

I'm wondering if perhaps a newly unleashed keyword autobot is flagging up your hub for "keyword stuffing", because you do use the terms "Hawai'i" and "Hawaiians" a lot in your article. These days writing style is governed by bots working on idiotic rules to satisfy the ravings of the Great God Google. If these terms account for more than 2-3% of the total word count, there is a possibility that could be at least a contributing factor to the hub being unfeatured.

Admittedly, it's difficult to get rid of words that relate to the core subject of an article, especially if there are no obvious synonyms. You could try using  kanaka maoli a few times instead of Hawaiians. Otherwise try "the people", "the population", "the populace", "the nation", and replace Hawai'i sometimes with "the State", "the island", "the land". It will be a PITA, but perhaps it's worth a try.