Are there HTML codes for the Hubpages Ad Program for members websites?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    FootballNutposted 8 years ago

I was wondering if Hubpages offer a revenue sharing HTML code that can be implemented into the hubpages members own websites.

The Hubpages Ad programme seems to work better than google adsense in respect of how much can be earned per 1000 page views, I would much rather have hubpages adverts being displayed over google adsense.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree that I find the HP Ads program more lucrative than Adsense alone, most Hubbers do. 

If you'd like to suggest that HP expand the program to allow Hubbers to put the ads on their own blogs, then you should post in the "Suggest a Feature" section.

I suspect HP won't want the extra work of having to monitor other blogs, they have enough difficulty monitoring Hubs.   And they would have to monitor them, because HP simply cannot afford to lose its Adsense account - too much of HP's  income depends on it.

1. profile image0
        FootballNutposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi

Totally agree it would be a lot of work for Hubpages but it would in the long run be more beneficial to them, and us.

I think Hubpages should create their own little search world as getting ranked on google over wikipedia and other news media websites, is virtually impossible due to the way search engines display search results now.

When you have time please could you read my "Why Keywords Are NOT Important On Websites Anymore" article, if enough Hubbers believe it would be better for us, who knows maybe we can all contact Hubpages as a group and ask for some changes. If enough don't then nothing is lost.

Ah, now I see your reasoning.

What you really want is for HubPages to allow members to add their blogs to the HubPages network, which means they would be included in HubPages search (and presumably in the related Hubs section). In return, Hubbers would use the HubPages Earnings Program on their blogs, allowing HP to earn from views.

If HubPages vetted all members before joining, like About.com, then I'd say yes what a good idea.  But they don't, and while there are some great writers on HP, there's a lot of rubbish writers too.  HubPages simply wouldn't have the resources to monitor and control the quality of the blogs - and if the search returned rubbish, people would soon stop using it.

2. profile image0

You just worded the point so much better ha.

Gonna add that wording to the article.

It will be a heck of a lot of work for Hubpages to set such a system up, and like you say vetting good content from the bad on members sites will put a strain on them. But as the Hubpages search facility is operated by google, would it not only pick the best content across the sites that Hubpages add to their search results? If so, this would lighten the work for hubpages massively.

OK, I missed something obvious.

HubPages' search facility is powered by Google.   It's a facility Google provides for website owners, but the choice is simple - either it searches the whole internet, or it searches within a single website.   It's programmed by Google, not by HubPages, so HubPages can't just decide to add in other blogs.

So, the only way your idea would work is if HubPages designed their own search which somehow searched within a certain set of websites. I'm not sure that such a program exists.

1. profile image0

Custom searches allows you to add as many sites as you wish. As long as you have permission to include sites in your custom search engine.

Hubpages can add TRUSTED members sitelinks, and remove their sites from showing custom searches if site owners misbehave. Would not take much time at all for hubpages to add links to the search, plus google will show the best results from the sites Hubpages allow to be shown in their custom search.

https://cse.google.com/cse/manage/create

OK, my mistake.

Like I said, though, the only way this will even be considered by HubPages is if you write a clearly worded proposal in the "Suggest a New Feature" section of the forums. 

But as I also said - since HP is flat out trying to maintain quality just on HP, you would also need to do a cost/benefit analysis showing how the extra staff they'd need to hire would be offset by the extra income.

1. profile image0

Hi mate

I have just done so in the said forum. Not with all the details though as that would have to be left for Hubpages to figure out, if they see the potential to opening their ad hosting platform and search facility to us the members it might be something they will look into, who knows.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

No, and I am baffled as to why you would want to share ad revenue with Hubpages when not using their platform.  A properly set up Adsense should have comparable CPM after you take into acount Hubpages share.

1. profile image0

Hi

It would be no different to sharing revenue with google when using adsense on sites.

Hubpages per thousand views seems to pay more than adsense. The earnings I have reached on hubpages through their Ad program with 700 views (as I am new here), is higher than what adsense earns me per 2000 views on my own sites, so I was wondering if hubpages had their own version of an adsense program that allows members to input ad codes on their own niche websites in order to revenue share (just like google adsense do).

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Note: I am using "CPM" in the technically incorrect way that Hubpages does, as meaning actual income per 1000 visits. This should actually be called RPM but on this site it is called CPM.

Firstly, you pay a larger share to Hubpages than you do to Adsense.  Because Hubads is Adsense driven so they are getting their share as well, then Hubpages takes half your traffic so you eanring nothing at all from that.

Secondly, CPM is not a set thing.  I track my CPM on Hubpages and about a dozen of my own websites and blogs.  Hubpages is right in the middle of the pack for me. Maybe the problem is not the ads, but your site?

Earnings (the thing we really care about) = CPM x traffic. Hubpages takes about half your impressions.  Ergo your Hubpages CPM really effectively half of what your report says it is, that is if you want to compare apples to apples (e.g. what you will earn from Hubads versus your own site per raw 1000 impressions.)

Just looking at the CPMs alone is wildly misleading. I suggest that you look at how Hubpages displays ads and structures hubs, and do that yourself with Adsense. Because Hubads is adsense with a little bit of content site customization and half the profits taken away.

1. profile image0

Hubpages hosts it's own advertising platform which is similar to adsense.

I am under the impression that we can join their ad platform and earn a share via advertisers that pay hubpages directly.

We also have the option to add google adsense to our hubs to form another income stream set at a rate of adsense adverts showing 60% of the time for the author and 40% of the time for the hubpages google adsense account.

I have my adsense display on hubpages and when checking my hubpages channels on google the views are up but the earnings are not, where as on the exact same pages I have my adsense I also have the hubpages supplied adverts (ad program), the views are up and so are the earnings.

This does not justify itself, I have a channel in my adsense account so that I can monitor how well adsense is performing just on hubpages, and it is not performing at all, yet hubpages ad program is. So even if I set my sites page layouts to mirror that of hubpages the chances are the performance will not change, but with that said that is a good suggestion and is still worth a try so I will give that ago, thank you.

I have not seen anywhere that the ad program that hubpages host is generated by google adsense.

Are they not two completely separate platforms, with one belonging to hubpages and the other belonging to google adsense?

Also with adsense although you get 100% of adverts displayed, you get around 70% of what the advertisers pay google, so with sharing the adsense ad spaces with hubpages on here you narrow your adsense earnings to around 60% of that 70%. When displaying adsense on your own website you get 100% of that 70%.

Adsense is around a 70/30% revenue share, hubpages is a 60/40% in our favour. So the share is less on hubpages program but the earnings seem to be more, I can only think hubpages charge their advertising clients a lot more than what google do, which then makes 60% worth more than 70%.

1. Maffew James profile image94
            Maffew Jamesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HubPages predominately uses AdSense and a few other platforms because this produces more competition.

HubPages isn't going to be interested in the risk of having its own advertiser codes being used on a site it can't control. AdSense itself is also unlikely to allow HubPages to extend its special privileges to other websites.

You're allowed to choose between using the HubPages program, where HubPages's AdSense code is present on the page, and HubPages pays you for your share directly; or your own AdSense code, where Google pays you directly. Both use AdSense, with the main difference being which codes are present, and which company is paying you directly.

There's a simple explanation for this. When the HubPages Ad Program is active, the ad unit that uses your own AdSense code is practically hidden from users at the very bottom of the page where no clicks generally occur. You will still see views and impressions, because the ad loads. Users don't actually look at it the majority of the time though, and certainly rarely click on it. No clicks means just about no earnings from the ad unit. It is not a reflection of AdSense's value or profitability.

To the extent that you can actually replicate it. HubPages is a large AdSense publisher, and large publishers have account managers and special privileges. That is why HubPages can use more than 3 AdSense for content ad units, set them up in floating boxes, and do other things that greatly increase click through but would flag your own individual account in violation of the program rules if you tried to do the same on your own website.

The HubPages Ad Program is AdSense with a few other advertising platforms involved to increase competition. You can see this yourself by using Chrome browser with the AdSense Publisher Toolbar installed. AdSense ad units will be marked by the overlay. You will also be able to see where your own AdSense code appears and realise that it's in a position where practically no one will see it, let alone click on it.

HubPages states in the FAQ: "The Ad Program ad units might be filled with Google AdSense ads, if these ads outperform other ad partners' ads, and you will be paid for these via the HubPages Earnings Program."

AdSense is 70/30 revenue to the publisher/Google. With the HubPages Ad Program, AdSense ad units pay HubPages at a rate of 70/30, or whatever private rate has been negotiated, and HubPages then pays you 60% of their cut from Google for these ad units.

As for it still being more valuable, consider the factors that make this so:

- HubPages is a large publisher: It doesn't have the same limitations on the amount of AdSense units it can display, or the location of these units. It is also more valuable simply because of its size and authority. Advertisers are willing to pay more to feature on larger, trusted sites, and Google is willing to funnel more advertisers to these sites too. The better your site performs with AdSense in terms of advertiser satisfaction, the more likely you'll get preferential rates that are better than other sites that display AdSense ads. This is explained in a rather ambiguous way in the AdSense documentation.

- HubPages drives up the winning bid of its ads by including other advertising platforms: More advertisers vying to be displayed on the page means that the winner of the bid needs to pay more to successfully place. AdSense outbids all of these other platforms generally, so the combination mostly serves to drive up earnings and AdSense is still the predominate advertiser on the page for most people here if your content is optimised. In cases where there is little interest from AdSense for your content, this is where the other platforms will win the bid, and this serves to ensure you still earn a little money, rather than a negligible amount, further increasing the value of the Ad Program because of the way it normalises earnings.

- HubPages has a relationship with Adsense and Google, and also has its own technical team: This allows it to constantly measure response to the location and usage of ads. Technical data can be tracked and used to optimise click through and value.

Overall, the Ad Program is a benefit of HubPages. You give up a lot of control over your content and the site architecture to them for the benefit of the Ad Program, domain authority, and technical implementation. On your own sites, you control all content and architecture, but have lower authority in search and AdSense, don't have the benefit of the HubPages Ad Program, and have to measure and adapt technical aspects of your site yourself to best optimise traffic and earnings.

It's a choice, and there are both benefits and drawbacks to using HubPages versus creating your own site.

1. profile image0

Hi

Why would Hubpages not be interested in providing a platform so Hubpage members can add code that display Hubpage Ad Program adverts on members own personal website, they will get a 60/40 share so it would benefit them.

As for them not being interested because they do not have control of such sites, they do not need control of the sites, they have control of the Ad codes (the Ad codes would be long to them), this means they can disable such Ads if site owners are misbehaving.

As for the rest I understand the choices on here for advertising and that we give hubpages our content, but many people use Hubpages to create hubs that have backlinks to their personal websites,  so again if visitors come to this website and then divert to a members personal website hubpages will now not be earning as the visitor has left their site, whereas if they had a platform where members can input the ad codes they would earn when people divert to members websites, surely that would be of interest to them.

As for giving Hubpages our content your correct to an extent, but we don't give them all of our content, just some content.

If we are getting 60/40 on Hubpages ads that you say are supplied by google but google is a 70/30 revenue share for arguments sake, this actually means we get 60% of 70%, which is not a lot yet it still keeps appearing to be worth more than getting a basic 70/30 from using adsense directly on our own sites, so this does not add up, Hubpages Ad Program is a program of it's own surely else there would be no competition, if Ad Program ads are from google and they are displayed on pages and adsense codes that we can choose to add that are from google is not competition, this must mean Hubpages have their own paying advertisers that they share the revenue with us from, and it is this section of the choices we have for displaying adverts on here that I would be interested in to use to monetize my sites/earn revenue.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I'd be interested to see how well HP Ads would do on my own sites; they've always been a better earner for me than Adsense.

1. profile image0

It would be interesting to use HubPages Ads as a monetization platform in an experiment against Google Adsense.

Displaying both on one site to see.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I'd like trying it out, see what comes of it.

4. agvulpes profile image86
    agvulpesposted 8 years ago

It is my understanding that HP is not sharing 'revenue' with us!  They are sharing the amount of 'time' that our Adsense Account number is placed on our Hubs!

5. Maffew James profile image94
    Maffew Jamesposted 8 years ago

Because they don't have the right to do it. Only HubPages has the right to use their advertisements in the way that they do.

The problem is, AdSense has the ability to intervene directly. If a violation occurs on a site, whether due to how the ads are placed, copyright infringement, malware, etc, AdSense is very likely to disable the account to protect the interests of advertisers, and ultimately Google's 'cash cow', before HubPages can act to protect itself. AdSense itself has all the data it needs to act quicker than HubPages, which would simply be acting as an intermediary. It's too much risk for very little gain when you factor in the time and monitoring required to prevent issues and make something like this work.

Also, AdSense itself won't allow it anyway. HubPages has the right to run AdSense and other platforms in the way it does. You, however, do not. They can not transfer that privilege to your site just because you've copied a code. Custom usage of AdSense like this is only authorised to specific entities. The same rules apply to other advertisement companies.

The issue isn't that HubPages wants to control your content and doesn't want to lose that ability. The issue is that an AdSense publisher must be responsible for content when its code is used. They can't prevent violations of the program policies if their code is being used on your website.

As for whether the idea of becoming an advertising company is of any interest to HubPages, that is obviously their choice and you would have to share your point of view with the company if you want to try and sell this.

What I mean is, you place your content on HubPages, and users view the content here. That is the choice you make, and there are benefits and drawbacks to this choice, just as there are benefits and drawbacks to placing it on your own website. The amount of content you choose to publish here is irrelevant.

You don't know that it's not a lot because you're translating your experience of AdSense on your own website to HubPages. As I've said, HubPages is a large site that receives preferential treatment from AdSense due to its size, authority, and the trust it has gained with advertisers. It will naturally make more than weaker sites.

Ultimately, you can't see how many clicks you're getting on ads here, nor can you see the value of those clicks, or the value of impressions. The only data you have access to is the average value of 1000 page views, which is practically worthless for a meaningful comparison.

For all you know, if earnings are twice as high here as 1000 impressions on your own website, it can easily just be a matter of getting more clicks on HubPages due to the amount of ads, the layout, and the floating format. You have no means to actually compare HubPages use of AdSense to your own because you have no meaningful data available to you.

Then there is the fact that you are trying to compare different content anyway. How can you be sure the pages you have on HubPages are going to earn the same amount of revenue as pages on your own site? It doesn't even matter whether the content is in the same niche because the final RPM of individual pages varies.

Traffic is yet another determining factor. Where is the traffic to your HubPages content originating from versus that of your own website? This is a simple variable that could mean the difference between search engine traffic, social traffic, and subscriptions, but it impacts earnings because the intent of the traffic can be different, and the quality of the traffic can be different. For example, subscribers to your website may read every new article and give the illusion of high numbers, but this doesn't translate to revenue because this kind of traffic rarely clicks third-party ads.

Finally, sure, HubPages could also have direct advertisers that make bids to appear on this site by choice, rather than through AdSense or other platforms. This only makes a difference to your earnings if they outbid the AdSense ads, and even if you did copy the code over to your own website, these advertisers have no interest in appearing on your website. They go to HubPages directly, because they want to appear on HubPages. The same goes for placement ads within AdSense.

If you want more insight into how the HubPages Ad Program works, and why it is more successful then by all means contact the staff and ask them. They probably won't share much of this information with you though. Any successful optimisations to AdSense on-site is an advantage they won't want to share with the wider world.

1. profile image0

Exactly the advertisers can pick what type of niche websites they wish to appear on. Adwords users go to google DIRECTLY, google then distributes the ads of those that go DIRECTLY to google across adsense members niche websites.

The same can go for the hubpages DIRECT advertisers. Hubpages have complete control over what and how adverts are displayed on members niche websites, advertisers also get to select what type of niche websites they wish to appear on. It is no different to adsense.

Why is everyone scared on Google? There are loads of third party advertisers out there that hold their own advertising platforms that have nothing to do with google, you and I can add our own advertising platform to our websites, if advertisers agree we can pass their submitted adverts on to other sides via letting them use a code, then splitting the revenue that advertiser pays us, that has absolutely nothing to do with google, stop being afraid of them.

6. Rafiq23 profile image86
    Rafiq23posted 8 years ago

I earn more on Adsense than on HP Ad Program. You can earn from $ .04 to 40 per click on Adsense. The revenue mostly depends upon the niche you are writing about. If you are writing about Cheap Cars, you will earn about $ 10 per click.

1. profile image0

It will be different for all as you mention you do better with adsense, other do better with HP Ad program and we have the choice on here which one to use, or to use both, but on our own niche websites we only have the choice to use adsense, I would like to see HP open their advertising platform so we can use their Ad Program codes on our sites to monitor our websites and have another income stream.

Opening the search facility on here to display our sites in the search results would be good too, if hubpages added sites to the searches that show their Ad Program codes on, they will still earn.

It seems we need to build a "Community Search Engine" to hubpages so that we can all benefit from more traffic, the way to do this is to bring what we already have together, hubpages, our websites and the google custom search that hubpages uses on here, if we bring them altogether we will do better.

I believe I put this post in the wrong forum section so I have created a new one here

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/134 … dvertising

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)