jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Shrieks and curses on the editbot

1. SusannaDuffy profile image85
    SusannaDuffyposted 10 months ago

Why oh why oh why does the editbot keep changing my spelling? I'm sick to death of it!  Now I just pull whole paragraphs out of hubs to stop the little monster committing cultural genocide.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 months ago in reply to this

When you say "cultural", do you mean it's changing British spelling to American, or foreign names to something nonsensical?   

You do know that you can "untick" the editbot and that will restore your original spelling?

2. Kylyssa profile image96
      Kylyssaposted 10 months ago in reply to this

It's too bad they can't have the editbot recognize multiple correct spellings of words. I wonder if they get enough instances of those words actually being spelled wrong for their inclusion to be worthwhile in the first place? For instance, how many corrections of the word 'color' are actual misspellings or typos and how many are just corrections of the proper English spelling?

If they removed the proper English spellings from the list of misspellings, maybe they could add more words to editbot? Whenever I go hunting for the corrections in my comments, I invariably notice many more errors the editbot hasn't caught on my long scroll down.

It's kind of silly to see something like 'favourite' changed right next to another comment with two or three misspellings or typos in it. It gives an incorrect impression that Americanizing the comments is more important than correcting the errors. Luckily, our readers can't tell what's been changed.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 months ago in reply to this

If you find EditBot is changing correct spellings, please uncheck the boxes rather than trying to change your Hubs in Edit Mode. Please also Email Marina with examples. It is not our intention to exclude correct non-American English spellings and we can turn off those corrections site-wide as they are discovered.