jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

RE: TOS for traffjic-gain...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 15 months ago

I was under the impression that posting a begging "please come read my hub so it doesn't get unfeatured" type post on other sites was at the very least, frowned upon, if not in direct violation of the TOS.

If so, I cannot find that reference, for I have just come across such a post on Face Book....and if it is likely to get that person more than s/he wants (and not in a good way), I'd like to alert them...

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Don't alert them.

Report them.  Get rid.

Just my opinion on Facebook share spammers.

2. NateB11 profile image91
      NateB11posted 15 months ago in reply to this

The only thing I know of like that, that I know is against TOS, are exchange groups. These are social networking sites set up just for everybody in the group to give each other traffic; you know, they post a link to their article and everyone agrees to go to the article and the poster does the same for everyone else in the group. It's a way to create artificial traffic and it's even against Adsense rules. There are even Facebook groups set up for that purpose.

3. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 15 months ago in reply to this

The joke's on them because HP only cares about search engine traffic when it comes to unfeaturing hubs.

1. NateB11 profile image91

I've always thought those groups must be ineffective. I mean the quality of traffic they are getting is low. And they can't get that much traffic even then, I'd think. Not to mention the fact that it's just kind of bizarre. I'd think they'd want to get traffic legitimately from people who want to read their articles. Pretty cheap (as in low-rent, shoddy) way to get traffic.

And now that I said that about the TOU, I can't actually find it in the TOU. I remember reading something about it years ago, maybe it changed, maybe my memory is faulty.

Edit: Okay, found a relevant clause, 3 bullet points from the bottom of section 4 on Restrictions and Prohibitions on Use--it says, "Spam to promote Hubs or Profiles, including comment spam, forum spam, spam blogs, email spam, instant message spam, or similar."

But, at any rate, at one time I think it was spelled out more specifically about exchange groups.

Some more info here, particularly pauldeeds statement about a quarter of the way down.

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/787 … mits-on-us

Also a bit about Adsense policy.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1348729?hl=en

4. bravewarrior profile image94
      bravewarriorposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Don't beg. Just re-post and let the chips fall where they may. And don't re-post more than once on your social sites without doing the same for others, If you've gained many more followers than when you initially posted, it's safe to do so again, otherwise you come off as me-me-me. No one likes that. And make sure it's a topic that appeals to the masses.

DzyMsLizzyposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I do find that I mostly post others' stuff on my FB DzyMsLizzy page...separate from my personal page...

I try to share stuff that seems interesting/useful or delicious.  wink

5. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 15 months ago in reply to this

While this is not against HubPages rules, it may be against Facebook rules, in which case you may want to report the post to Facebook.

Though as calculus-geometry mentions, social traffic is not considered when a Hub becomes deFeatured for traffic. Only search traffic is counted because the Hub can still be shared on social sites whether or not it is Featured, but if it is getting no search traffic, it will not be available to search engines.

Featured status has no effect on a Hub's popularity on social media or its ability to be shared/viewed there.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 15 months ago
      DzyMsLizzyposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Phyllis..  +1

3. Jodah profile image84
    Jodahposted 15 months ago

Thanks Phyllis. Good to have that spelled out.

4. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 15 months ago

I follow HubPages on G+. When another Hubber's work appears there, I share it with my G+ followers if, Lizzy, I find it useful or interesting.

working