jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

HubPages.com domain scraping??

1. makingamark profile image77
    makingamarkposted 12 months ago

Try putting your account name in place of the xxxxs in XXXXXX.hubpages.com.tested.website and see what comes up.

I found it when putting my user name and 'hubpages' into Google as a query to see what came up with respect to the former subdomain.

It's not just me that's affected by it. I added Paul Edmundson's user name to the front end as well (as in http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com.tested.website/) to test whether others were affected - and an analysis of his subdomain came up as well - with the title of the page being "PAULEDMONDSON.HUBPAGES.COM - PAUL EDMONDSON ON HUBPAGES"

It looks to me like every user on hubpages is affected - but it may just be account holders with a lot of traffic

Seems to me this is one which HubPages needs to tackle as a site and domain name owner.

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Nothing came up for either of my accounts, but I could see Paul's and HP as a whole. Not sure what to make of it.

makingamarkposted 12 months ago in reply to this

I was puzzled by it as well. It seems to be trying to emulate some of the SEO intelligence websites at one level.

2. Kylyssa profile image93
      Kylyssaposted 12 months ago in reply to this

This phenomenon has been going on a long time with many other sites doing the same thing with our URLs and usernames. Experts here in the forum told me it's nothing to worry about and won't affect traffic although that was when it was my subdomain and the subdomains of other hubbers, not the site owner's.

I wrote about it, concerned because there were thousands of them using my name for each affected hub. I was told by the experts here that it means nothing and not to worry about it, that Google doesn't associate the person's name or URL with the malware pages with their name and URL on them and penalize their other pages. However, my HP traffic continues to be low compared to elsewhere and it's the only truly visible difference in things I can find.

If my experience is any indicator, you can expect a few condescending replies.

P.S. Don't visit that sort of site without really good malware protection. I use a tablet I can wipe back to factory settings to check them out after getting my desktop infected researching URL scraping sites.

3. easylearningweb profile image91
      easylearningwebposted 12 months ago in reply to this

I noticed this earlier today. If I go to easylearningweb.hubpages.com it redirects to hubpages.com/@easylearningweb

I'm not sure what this means for us hubbers. I'm hoping things pick up. Currently it takes months to accumulate earnings for a $50 payout. How is everyone else doing?

1. NateB11 profile image92
        NateB11posted 12 months ago in reply to this

It's just a redirect from the old subdomain url address to the new url address on the main domain.

......and nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Everybody's old sub-domain points to the new domain.

But that's not what the tested.website is about (see original post)

2. Jasmeetk profile image75
    Jasmeetkposted 12 months ago

I tried..it is redirecting to new url

Click the link to the Paul Edmondson example above. That's not redirecting....

You need to use a command which means the browser goes to that URL. If you search using a browser like Google you won't find it.

In fact the version of the website which includes your username (Jasmeetk) is there - it's just empty of data which underpins my notion that they are only going for some of the hub pages accounts and not others.

3. Will Apse profile image92
    Will Apseposted 12 months ago

Not sure why you think it is a scraper site. There is not a single copied page that I can see.

Seems to be someone thinking of offering silly software to naive webmaster newbies fix all their ills.

Might be a student project, though.

at the very least it is scraping part of a domain name.

My experience of these sort of sites is that are generally up to no good.

1. Will Apse profile image92
        Will Apseposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Uptonogoodware is, indeed, an increasing problem.

working