jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas Hubs

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image78
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 18 months ago

Should these now be unpublished (not deleted) until time for them next year?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Hi Jackie,

It's a good idea to leave them published both so they will keep their rankings for those search terms and so they'll be available to people who start searching for holiday ideas early. We don't recommend unpublishing Hubs that get traffic, even if it's seasonal.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Christy. You have very good thoughts on this subject.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image78
        Jackie Lynnleyposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Thank you so much Christy; I have done that before and now wish I hadn't; so now I will not do it again!

I should also note that if someone has stolen your Hub and you unpublish the original, it can be hard to establish that you are the original author and get the copy taken down since your "first published" date will appear later because the Hub was unpublished in between.

Even if they become unfeatured for traffic in the off season, they'll keep the original publish date and a quick edit will get them Featured again for your holiday readers.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image78
            Jackie Lynnleyposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Wow; never gave that a thought. I never let anything get unpublished though. Hard work, but I keep on top of them!
            Thanks again, Christy!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 18 months ago in reply to this

Marisa Wright just posted that if they become unfeatured and stay that way for a week or so, Google eliminates them from indexing and they lose all of their juice.  Now you are saying just the opposite.  Please clarify this for us.

Unpublished and unfeatured are not the same thing. An unfeatured Hub will keep its original published date as I stated above (which can be important for getting stolen copies taken down) unless it is unpublished.

Hubs that are getting little enough traffic to become unfeatured for traffic (and not for quality) are already not ranking with Google. A trickle of off-season holiday views is usually enough for a Hub to maintain Featured status throughout the year.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91

This is confusing because not being ranked is not the same as being wiped off of Google's radar screen.  I understand the difference between unfeaturing and unpublishing, but according to Marissa, if you leave a post unfeatured for a week or so, it loses not just ranking and placement, but also all of the links, etc. that it previously had.

Need more info on this

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
                  Marisa Wrightposted 18 months ago in reply to this

What I meant was that if you unpublish it for any length of time, Google will de-index it, which means Google forgets all the "juice" your Hub may have built up. 

A Hub can have a very low Google ranking and still be indexed.

An unFeatured Hub may not be ranking well, but that doesn't mean it has been completely de-indexed (as far as I know).  Therefore keeping it Featured at least gives it a chance to build on its current position, rather than wiping its history altogether.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image91

Which brings us back to my original thoughts and the comment you made.  If I understood you correctly, you said that if a hub is left unfeatured for very long Google eliminates it and all of its history.  I thought if you left a hub unfeatured until it became popular again as an "in season" post, you could, at that time, update it and get it featured again without losing links, etc.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 18 months ago

I have previously unpublished seasonal hubs, but after reading Christy's reply I won't do that anymore.

3. RJ Schwartz profile image89
    RJ Schwartzposted 18 months ago

I don't unpublish anything seasonal - maybe a reader just needs to feel a little "seasonal" in the middle of Summer - I'd hate to deny them that experience....he he

working