jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Very important! Is Hubpages addressing the following SEO problems?

1. maalarue profile image89
    maalarueposted 9 months ago

Is Hubpages addressing these SEO issues?

I have noticed over the last year or more that my sites have dropped considerably on Google search, and with it my site visitors. I have been doing site SEO checks and have discovered my SEO score has dropped tremendously. I have many more failed checks and warnings than ever before.  One I am most concerned about is the slow loading speeds which I’m sure get penalized by Google. Normally load speeds should be around 5 seconds, but I am getting over 15 seconds and sometimes even double or triple that time.

Here is a list of failed checks and warnings from my tests:

1. Image Alt Test – missing ‘alt’ attributes
    2. Inline CSS Test – site is using to many inline CSS styles
    3. Favicon Test – a favicon in the site HTML site is not accessible
    4. HTML Page Size Test – HTML size is too big and can lead to slower load time
    5. Site Loading Speed – well over the average of 5 seconds (I show 15 to 54 seconds load time)
    6. Flash Test – website contains flash objects to deliver rich multimedia content but is outdated technology and does not work well with mobile devices.
    7. Image Expires Tag Test – not using expires headers for all images
    8. JS Minification Test – some JavaScript files are not minified
    9. CSS Minification Test – some CSS files are not minified
    10. URL Canonicalization Test – “http://hubpages.com/hubpagesname..” and “http://www.hubpages.com/hubpagesname..”  should resolve to the same URL, but currently do not.
    11. IP Canonicalization Test – your site’s IP does not redirect to your site’s domain name. This could cause duplicate content problems for search engines.
    12. Canonical Tag Checker – webstie is using the canonical link tag. This means that your website is not the preferred one to use in the search results.

***The 5 highest priority checks failed: Site Loading Speed Test, URL Canonicalization Test, IP Canonicalization Test, HTML Page Size Test, SEO Friendly URL Test(Internal Links)***

These issues should definitely be addressed. Does anyone including the Hubpage Team have any suggestions on how to resolve these issues?  Thanks.

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 9 months ago in reply to this

None of these issues can be resolved by users, HP's web developers have to rewrite the code on the back end.  The issue with alt tags was brought up years ago. 

Excessive inline CSS, HTML bloat, and non-minified JS and CSS ultimately only affect site loading speed so I'm not sure why they are listed as separate SEO issues.  In any case, there's nothing you can do about it as a site user.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 months ago

Hubbers have been complaining about the "alt" tag for years.

The issue of hubpages.com/www.hubpages.com has been raised before and we have been told it's deliberate. 

It will be interesting to see their response to the other concerns.

3. Sue Adams profile image92
    Sue Adamsposted 9 months ago

Thank you for bringing this up again, maalarue. Most of these issues have been raised before and ignored by the team. My main concern is the extremely slow loading time which causes an unacceptable 98%  bounce rate. What's the point getting thousands of pageviews if people click off before the page has finished downloading?

I wonder if we get a response from the team this time round.