jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Serial fiction and the duplicate content alarm

1. 0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 9 months ago

I am writing a serial fiction Hub, and I am worried about triggering the duplicate content alarm.  What I would like to do, is start each installment with the last couple of sentences from the previous Hub. Is this safe?

1. Kylyssa profile image96
      Kylyssaposted 9 months ago in reply to this

Repeating a few sentences might cause an issue with the duplicate content filter if you have short chapters. It shouldn't be a problem if each chapter you post is a couple thousand words or so, but it really isn't necessary. You could just publish one chapter per hub and put a table of contents on the first chapter, link to it with an original blurb at the top of each hub, and link to the next chapter at the bottom of each hub. This has worked well for me on the first eighteen chapters of my serialized sci-fi novel on HubPages.

The problem I have had with starting with a few sentences from the end of the previous chapter (on a different site) was that people often started reading at whatever chapter they landed on and then had no idea what they were reading.

1. 0
        Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 9 months ago in reply to this

Thank you, Kylyssa. I think that your inter-chapter link may be the way to go.

2. Jodah profile image88
    Jodahposted 9 months ago

Yes it should be fine if it is only a small section.

3. 0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 9 months ago

Thanks, Jodah. I wanted to be sure before I did it. You know what they say... if in doubt, find out smile