jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Ads on Hubs

1. William F. Torpey profile image83
    William F. Torpeyposted 11 months ago

I'm a bit puzzled about ads on my hubs. Since I signed up with HubPages 8 years ago I've basically been putting two ads on each hub (primarily because I felt the ads make the hubs look more professional -- I don't mind making a few pennies but my purpose is simply to offer my opinions to readers.) Recently HubPages has warned that I should not have more than one ad for every 300 words. Presently I am going through my hubs to delete ads on hubs where I've received the warning. What puzzles me is that on my hub relating to Living Longer I had only 2 hubs (but I have deleted one of them in compliance with the HubPages warning) but I counted 17 ads that HubPages has on that same hub. Is that weird, or what?

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 11 months ago in reply to this

This is what has been going on. It also doesn't surprise me that we aren't in Google's favor with this many ads.

William F. Torpeyposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Flooding the hubs with ads seems unwise to me. Even HubPages apparently thinks so because it doesn't want its writers to have more than one ad for every 300 words (So why do they think their 17 ads are a good idea?)

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 months ago in reply to this

HubPages doesn't want its writers to flood their Hubs with Amazon ads, not ads in general.

Apparently some time back, HubPages were ticked off by Google for having excessive and irrelevant Amazon ads on a Hub - and as a result, they now seem to be almost paranoid about Amazon ads! 

The new rules state that IF you are going to include Amazon ads in your Hubs, they must be VERY closely related to the subject of your Hub.   For example, if you're writing a Hub about making a skirt, you could include an Amazon ad for the skirt pattern or the specific type of material or thread you recommend, but you can't advertise a sewing machine - that would be too general.

2. kenneth avery profile image82
      kenneth averyposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Jan. 26
      William,
      Please understand. I am not trying to be a smart alec, but I lean toward agreeing with you, but in my time on HP, I have finally learned that "some" things are to be lived with rather than be in a storm of frustration most of the time. If I had time, I would share the most-trying of things that I used to fuss about, but I know this contributed to my Congestive Heart Failure and talk about high blood pressure. Mine blew off the tiles of the ceiling.
      I am just trying to be a friend.
      Kenneth

William F. Torpeyposted 11 months ago in reply to this

I appreciate your concern, Ken, but I don't take HubPages very seriously. My only interest is the opportunity to have people read my opinions as expressed in my hubs. I just don't like spending lots of time making insignificant changes on them. I'm not interested in technology, as such, so it's easiest for me to just put two ads on each hub. I had a different advertiser originally but they got too technical so  I switched to Amazon. Note (aside): All corporations are paranoid.

1. kenneth avery profile image82
          kenneth averyposted 11 months ago in reply to this

William, point taken. Much success to you.

2. William F. Torpey profile image83
    William F. Torpeyposted 11 months ago

And  success to you as well, Ken.

working