Woo-Hoo! Outside $$

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (45 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

In today's mail arrived a check from Cambridge University Press in compensation for permission to quote a fair portion of one of my Hubs in a textbook for ESL students, on how to formulate an argument.

This has been in the works for several months, and I was told I would be paid once it went to press!  Today was the day!  I am stoked!  This makes up for the pittance I have been making from HP directly.  wink

1. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, MsLizzy! How exciting for you!

2. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's great - congratulations!

3. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations Ms. Lizzy.  I am extremely happy for you.

4. gerimcclym profile image96
      gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Ms. Lizzy!  That is very encouraging. May I ask how Cambridge University Press located your hub? Did you send them a copy of it or did they find it online?

DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Apparently, they just stumbled upon it somehow.  ;-)

1. gerimcclym profile image96

That is very good news. Congratulations to you once again!

5. MarleneB profile image90
      MarleneBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is so good to hear of your success. You deserve it. Congratulations!

6. profile image51
      Alexprooposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congractulation, it is realy a good news.

7. kbdressman profile image60
      kbdressmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's Great!  You know you're doing well when someone else quotes you as an expert on a subject!

8. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLizzy
      Delighted to hear your good news. I bet that made your day:)

9. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are my favorite teddy bear and have always been. big_smile

10. junecampbell profile image72
      junecampbellposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations. Well done.

11. MsDora profile image94
      MsDoraposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!  Way to go DzyMsLizzy!

12. Christy Kirwan profile image88
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great news! It's wonderful to have your work acknowledged this way.

Thank you, Christy!  I was pleasantly surprised, as well as stunned.  wink

13. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Awesome. Congratulations, Liz!

14. profile image0
      Diana Abrahamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well done on your achievement. Very exciting news!

2. SusanDeppner profile image76
    SusanDeppnerposted 8 years ago

Awesome news! Congratulations!

3. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Congratulations, Liz.    smile

4. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

Wonderful News!  Nothing like validation and respect!  Whoo Hoo!  This is also encouraging for everyone here.  So happy for you!

1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Which hub is that?  It would be a good model for us.

It was my hub on why homework is a bad idea.  wink

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Hey MsLizzy - that is awesome news. Good for you!

6. Blond Logic profile image92
    Blond Logicposted 8 years ago

Fantastic news, I'm so pleased for you.

7. NateB11 profile image90
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

Very cool.

8. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

That's great news! (You must have done your homework.)

1. amuno profile image89
      amunoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha. Not a bad idea after all...

1. profile image51
        Alexprooposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Congractulations,it is realy a good news.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

LOL, Rochelle--nope--no homework at all.  It was an opinion essay.  wink

9. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

Congratulations! Isn't it great how they hunt for quality material online and then treat the writer fairly?

They picked up an article of mine on homelessness for use in a textbook for children 11-13 in late 2014 and they were a delight to work with. Their turnaround time from request to print is amazing and I have to say I never worked with a more pleasant editor.

I'm very happy for you and I hope it leads to even more.

Congratulations to you as well, Kylyssa, for your writing! That is very encouraging.

Awesome, Kylyssa--did you work with Joanne?  She was very nice to work with.

1. Kylyssa profile image90
        Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I worked with Christina Hughes. I swear, everything she did was perfect and she left me feeling really good about the finished piece as well as the publication it went into. Our interaction was so short but she accomplished everything that needed doing in three, maybe four emails, and was unfailingly polite and respectful.

[edited to add] OMG, I'm such a dumbass! I just looked up the emails to see how many there were for sure and realized it was a different publisher entirely! It was a different educational material publisher, Cambridge Media Group.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a great experience and it's even good to find out that multiple educational publishers are making use of useful content they find online and treating those who write it well.

Definitely very encouraging to know that multiple publishing companies are seeking and finding quality writing online! Thanks for sharing.

The name sounds as though it could *possibly* be a related or subsidiary company....

10. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I like it! Congratulations on being a writer, a lady and a scholar.

11. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Oh, how wonderful, MsLizzy. Happy for you. smile

12. yecall profile image72
    yecallposted 8 years ago

How great and we should all bear in mind that things like this can unexpectedly happen.

13. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 8 years ago

Well congratulations MsLizzy!  This is wonderful news.

14. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

That is wonderful!! Is there a possibility they might commission more work from you on other topics?

I have no idea.  That was not discussed.  I was floored to find that they'd stumbled upon the article in the first place, and found if worthy of inclusion in a text.  ;-)

15. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
    MelRootsNWritesposted 8 years ago

Congratulations!  It's great to be compensated for your hard work smile

16. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

This is wonderful news! And they wanted to pay you instead of taking it, is just incredible!  wink

17. Jasmeetk profile image79
    Jasmeetkposted 8 years ago

great news... Congratulations..smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)