jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

All of the following points must be true for a new Hub to be Featured

1. makingamark profile image72
    makingamarkposted 18 months ago

I'm wondering if people have read the NEW criteria for a Featured Hub

The blogpost about the new strategy http://blog.hubpages.com/2016/02/02/new-year-new-sites/
    includes

"Hubs must, at minimum, meet our criteria for being Featured. You can read about these standards in detail in this newly published FAQ entry." 
    The embedded link is http://hubpages.com/faq/#Featured-Criteria

If you follow it you find a NEW para 21 within the HubPages FAQs which reads as follows

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What is the criteria for Featured Hubs?

All of the following points must be true for a new Hub to be Featured:

* The author appears well intentioned and not purely motivated by potential earnings.
    * The Hub provides original information or content (including media), original reporting, original research, or original analysis.
    * The Hub has presentable grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation (a 7 or above on the QAP grammar and mechanics scale). The Hub may have a score of 6 for grammar if the content is unique or exceptional (i.e., the author went above and beyond).
    * The Hub content delivers what the title promises. Clever titles are fine for some opinion pieces, creative writing, entertainment content, and social commentary, but other Hubs should have titles that make it clear what they are about.
    * Most supplementary elements in the Hub (e.g., links, media, products, etc) are relevant, complement the content, and improve the reader experience. Links in lists (created with Link or Text Capsules) are carefully chosen and not excessive.
    * The Hub is trustworthy. When relevant, the Hub appears to be written by an expert or authority in their field.
    * The Hub is substantial, with helpful specifics.

Additional Criteria for Specific Topics:

* Controversial Topics: these are fine, but Hubs on topics that are inherently spammy (e.g., miracle health claims, weight loss scams, pay-to content) will not be Featured.
    * Medical, Finance, Law, and any other topic that may have an impact on a person's well-being: a Hub that offers advice on one of these topics should meet all of the bullet points above AND:
    Have top-notch grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
    Have enough expertise to be authoritative and trustworthy on the topic.
    Provide unique, expert insight and not merely reword information found on other websites.

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 18 months ago in reply to this

That's a useful quote to pass on to those having trouble passing QAP. Thanks

2. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 18 months ago

If I were "purely motivated by potential earnings" I wouldn't still be writing here....

1. Millionaire Tips profile image88
      Millionaire Tipsposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I have a feeling they were implying that the writer wasn't motivated by earnings in other places - referencing spammy links and writing.

Or maybe it is to say that your concern should be first and foremost the reader, and secondly your earnings from that reader, which would avoid clickbait types of articles. But then the recent Google ads for cyst and butt shaving hubs wouldn't be available to advertise.

1. SoyCandleLover profile image80
        SoyCandleLoverposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Lord...so I'm not the only Hubber freaked about those ads.  On recipe hubs for goodness sake.  Classy.

3. EricDockett profile image93
    EricDockettposted 18 months ago

If someone relies on their writing for all or part of their monthly income they may very well be purely motivated by potential earnings.

Otherwise, writing is a waste of their time. I see nothing wrong with this. HubPages themselves are motivated purely by potential earnings. If they weren't, HP wouldn't exist. What would be the point?

Plumbers, school teachers and doctors are motivated by potential earnings. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not trust in a doctor who is doing it just for fun.

It seems to me there was better quality content on HP back when more people were here to earn. Because they wanted to succeed, those people are more likely to take the time to learn SEO, more likely to keep up with best practices for content writing on the web, and less likely to mash their hands down on the keyboard repeatedly and hit the publish button. Sadly, it seems those writers have found HP a somewhat unfriendly place over the past year or two.

Professional writers produce professional content.

1. makingamark profile image72
      makingamarkposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I couldn't have put it better.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 18 months ago in reply to this

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

...especially this bit:
      "Plumbers, school teachers and doctors are motivated by potential earnings. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not trust in a doctor who is doing it just for fun."

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 18 months ago in reply to this

If school teachers were motivated by potential earnings, there wouldn't be any!  Furthermore, I would not want to have a doctor who only cared about money.  I need one who cares about ME!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 18 months ago in reply to this

So are you saying that both doctors and teachers should work for nothing?  I'm sure you'd agree they are entitled to be paid too!

working