jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

Google's new AI search engine... How will it affect our serps

1. TessSchlesinger profile image92
    TessSchlesingerposted 18 months ago

Basically the head honcho of Google search is retiring, and the future of search is AI (Artificial Intelligence).

To quote from the article (link provided below): "“They can retrieve very accurate results, but we can’t always explain, on an individual basis, what led them to those accurate results.”

"While RankBrain was initially approved by Singhal, he was hesitant to more widely incorporate machine learning technology into Google Search due to the potential unpredictability and lack of transparency in how the AI actually functions."

http://goo.gl/Xxt4eN

How does one write an article for 'machine intelligence' if one doesn't have any idea of what it is looking for?

1. Don Bobbitt profile image93
      Don Bobbittposted 18 months ago in reply to this

If I understand their problem with the implementation of AI, it is one every company wrestles with.
      Simply put, how do you give your software the power to make decisions and at the same time put necessary limits on the level the softwares intelligence can grow to.

It's like; "OK,Kid, we're going to give you two weapons to manage problems with; a pen and paper and a gun.
      Use the pen and paper as much as you wish, but,  only use the gun to threaten, never to harm."

This is the idyllic solution at first glance.

But one day the AI realizes; 1- the pen and paper didn't work, 2- the gun threat didn't work, but after some research it discovers that the gun has another function, firing a bullet. Now the AI has over-reached its designed limitations.

I assume they (Google) have not found a way to set the ironclad limits on their AI software and still retain control over it's coming up with undesired actions, if left to its own decision making process.
      DON

TessSchlesingerposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Good explanation.

But it still says that they don't know how AI makes its decisions, and to some extent we all incorporate SEO into our hubs.

So how do we write hubs that are AI friendly?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Try writing artificial hubs.

You just made me laugh! smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
              Rochelle Frankposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Good. What else can we do?  smile

1. jackclee lm profile image73
                jackclee lmposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I would not worry too much about AI, it is over hype. There is no replacement for a good human editor.

2. Ilonagarden profile image84
          Ilonagardenposted 18 months ago in reply to this

The way I understand this approach to search is that the whole point is to not write for the AI, but write for the reader. The AI is meant to bypass the fluff, spam, and fake content that is bloating the web and send the good stuff to the top of the search.

That is how I interpreted the information on the changes that Google is making
          IOW, we don't write anything merely for SEO or for the search engine, and instead focus on real people and what interests them/what info they need .

That, of course, could be ideal. Well, I suppose hope for good things.

working